Partners

They called him Kun ... Qian Kun ...

"Alright, the class has officially started, quiet down." 

Lihua held her pen tightly, listening to the professor at the front of the room. "Today, we will be working on magic functions. You'll be working with a partner." 

As soon as the words escaped the professor's mouth, everyone's hand shot up in the air. The professor sighed. "No, you won't get to pick your partner." The hands went down. "I have a list right here," the professor continued, holding a sheet of paper in the air, on full display. 

"You'll move next to your partner once I'm finished reading the list. Then I'll be giving you a packet to complete. That'll be the entire day." Although it wasn't verbally said, everyone in the class was done. It was in the atmosphere, the way everyone sulked and sighed. Lihua paid attention to the ballpoint pen in her hands, doing little flips while the teacher read the names off the list. 

"And finally, Zhao Lihua and Qian Kun. Okay, you may move." Lihua looked up, the sound of chatter and desks moving filling her ears. She looked around for her partner. 

'Qian Kun?' she wondered. 

She got up and turned around, gasping when she saw a smiling boy behind her. "Oh," she said, holding a hand over her heart. "You scared me."

The boy laughed. "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to. Zhao Lihua?" he asked, pointing a finger at her. She nodded. 

"Yup, that's me. And you're Qian Kun?" He nodded as an answer. Lihua looked to the side and found a vacant chair. She took it and place it next to her, gesturing to it. "Please, have a seat." She flashed a friendly smile, making Kun feel welcome immediately. He didn' feel awkward around her, much to his surprise. 

When the two got their papers, they spent a few minutes scanning the sheet in silence. Lihua looked up and put her paper down. Kun's eyes darted to look at Lihua, slightly jumping his seat. "You alright?" he asked. 

"I already hate this," Lihua groaned. She grabbed her pen and took the cap off, placing it on the other end of the pen before staring at her paper. "Maybe ... just maybe ... the answers will appear if I stare hard enough," she muttered to herself, staring at her paper. Kun chuckled. 

"Not how that works," he said. 

"Anything is possible, my dude. But, yeah, we should get started." Lihua and Kun started discussing the magic functions, trying to come up with ideas about what the functions me and how to make their own functions. 

Before they knew it, the class was over. Students started packing up, placing their things in their bags. "Oh, I guess it's time to go." Lihua looked surprised. She checked the clock and turned back to her bag, putting her things inside. Kun was doing the same. 

"Well, it was nice meeting you," Kun said as he got up.. Lihua gave him a thumbs up. "It was really nice meeting you, too," she replied. "I'll see you around."

It all started when the two became partners...