Moonlight

It was the night of the full moon. 

Among witches, the full moon was something to celebrate. This year would be different. After the fire, no Eximia student felt any hint of happiness. The joy in their hearts was gone. Everything had come crashing down. 

Meixing walked through the hospital, which had basically become a home for her. She had no classes to go to while they figured out what to do with the rubble, no RBW practice. All she did was stay in the hospital with her friends, hoping Lihua would go back to her usual self. 

She entered room 805, Lihua's room. Meixing smiled at the sleeping Lihua, glad she was getting rest. Meixing took a candle from one of the white cabinets, lighting it. The room started to smell like lemon verbena. 

Meixing smiled and placed the small candle on a stand, sprinkling some of the sugar around the dish. She snapped her fingers, causing a rose to appear in her hand. She took the petals and plucked them, elegantly placing them on the sugar. 

It was a tradition to do so on the full moon. When the moonlight hit the candle, it is said that the magic community will be blessed, the sign of a good year. The sugar represented kindness and sweetness in each person. The sugar represented beauty, inward and outward. When the candlelight and the moonlight mixed, they'd bestow those blessings and make those qualities shine in a person. 

Meixing hoped Lihua would be blessed, that she would recover well. Once she was finished, Meixing packed everything away and took a seat next to Lihua's bed, playing with her fingers. 

"Lihua," she whispered. "Please get well soon." 

Meixing stayed with Lihua for a little longer before getting up and leaving with her bowl of sugar. There were a couple of vacant rooms in the hospital that had been reserved for Eximia students who needed a place to sleep. 

Meixing walked to the kitchen and grabbed some milk and roses. Her mother had taught her to make rose syrup when she was younger. Rose syrup mixed in milk was a traditional drink for full moons. Meixing loved full moons because of the memories it brought her. She smiled while preparing the syrup, reminiscing of the days of her childhood in Guangdong, China.   

She chuckled to herself while she poured the syrup into the glasses of milk and stirred. Meixing wasn't paying attention to anything but the drink when she heard a knock on the doorway. 

"Mei!" 

Meixing saw Dejun leaning against the doorway, a smile on his face. "Yo, Dejun!" She walked over and gave him a fist bump.

Dejun let out a relieved sigh when he said, "I'm so glad you're alright." He smiled down at her before his eyes landed on the glasses of pink milk. 

"Ah, full moon." Dejun nodded, walking inside the room with Meixing. He watched her continued to stir the milk. Her dark ringlets fell in front of her face, her pink lips curled upward. Dejun felt his cheeks grow warm, looking away quickly. Dejun, don't do this, he chided. 

Meixing grinned happily, taking a glass and holding it out for Dejun to take. "Here," she said. Dejun smiled brightly, knowing the two were both thinking about their memories together. He gladly took the glass from Meixing's delicate hands, happily taking a sip. 

"Well?" Meixing stood with her hands on her hips, anticipating. 

Dejun lowered the glass, pretending to seem disgusted. He felt a pang of guilt when he saw Meixing's excited eyes grow sad. 

"Is it not good?" she asked, crestfallen. 

"No, no!" Dejun exclaimed. "I love it! It tastes great, Meixing. I was just messing with you. In fact, it tastes the same as when we were kids, remember? You always were good at this stuff. Oh, by the way, do you remember-"

"Dejun." Meixing's voice stopped Dejun from going on. "You're rambling." Meixing laughed, patting Dejun on the shoulder. 

"Right. Sorry," he replied. 

"I'm glad you like it, though. I'm very happy," she smiled. Meixing grabbed a couple of glasses and walked past Dejun, leaving him behind. She stopped, looked over her shoulder, and called, "Dejun, I'm gonna give these to some of my friends. I'll be right back for the others." 

"Wait!" Dejun grabbed the other glasses and held them out. "I'll help." 

Meixing and Dejun laughed as they carried the glasses to the floor where Eximia residents lived. They reached the final three rooms down the hall. Meixing knew all of them were in one room because of the laughing she heard. Meixing opened the door with the glasses of milk and smiled at the sight in front of her. 

Tungmei was laying on the floor while Fangsu towered over her, pointing finger guns at her. Liwei was recording the scene, while Weijian, Phitsamai, and Manak were laughing their asses off. 

"Be gone, thot- Oh. Hey, Mei!" 

Meixing stood, gaping, then laughed. "I don't even wanna know," she said, eliciting a laugh from everyone. 

"Mei, is that rose milk?" Tungmei asked, sitting up with an excited twinkle in her eyes. 

"Yup," she confirmed, handing everyone a glass with the help of Dejun. "Get you blessings, children."

Meixing turned around to leave when she remembered her friends had never met or seen Dejun in person. They'd heard a ton about him but never gotten to speak to him. 

"Oh, by the way. This is my childhood friend I was telling you about," Meixing said, walking up to Dejun and doing jazz hands around his face. Dejun flashed his grade-A smile, waving. 

"Hi," he said. "I'm Xiao Dejun. It's a pleasure to meet you all." 

Fangsu's eyebrows shot up. "Wow, you're polite. I'm Liu Fangsu."

"I'm Tungmei."

"Liwei."

"Manaka."

"Phitsamai."

"And I'm Weijian. A pleasure to meet ya," she said kindly. Meixing's friends waved happily, glad to finally meet Meixing's longtime friend. 

Once Dejun had taken some time to get to know everyone, the two walked out, walking around the halls. "So?" Meixing asked. 

"So?" 

"What's new?" Meixing asked.

"There's a full moon out," Dejun replied. Meixing side eyed him. 

"Dejun, sometimes I feel like whacking you into another dimension."

"You're gonna yeet me?" Dejun asked, laughing. Meixing laughed, too, lightly shoving him to the side. 

"Ah, Dejun. I'm glad you're here." Dejun blushed slightly at Meixing's comment. He watched her casually stroll on, a smile on her lips and her long eyelashes fluttering each time she blinked. 

Meixing was thankful that Dejun was her friend. He was someone she could rely on, someone she could trust. She was glad he was there to make things a little less terrifying for Meixing and her friends. They'd hit it off. She sighed happily as she looked out the window. 

The moonlight really was a blessing.