Code Black

Weijian hadn't talked to Sicheng much in the short time she'd known him, but in her mind, he seemed like a fun guy to be friends with. 

She sat down in the library with Manaka, grudgingly reading a book for her biology class. She kept turning the pages, glancing up from time to time to see what Manaka was doing. 

At one point, Weijian got up to talk to the librarian, whom she was very close with. She came back with a smile and opened up her book to continue her reading, only to find Manaka's phone inside with a picture of a Furby on the screen. 

Weijian looked at the picture and at Manaka, before sliding the phone back

Weijian looked at the picture and at Manaka, before sliding the phone back. "I have a couple of questions," Weijian snickered. Manaka nodded, suppressing her laughter as she took her phone back and went on with her own studying. 

When the two walked out of the library, Weijian whacked Manaka's arm. "Ouch," she hissed, rubbing her arm.

"Manaka," Weijian said. 

"That's my name."

"Why do you have an obsession with Furby memes?" Weijian asked. Manaka shrugged. 

"Why not? Lemme tell you something. My life changed for the better after I was blessed by Furby memes." Manaka started skipping, flailing her arms around. 

Weijian sighed, shaking her head. "You're something else." 

Manaka laughed, taking Weijian's wrist in her hand and dragging her on. "So, did you make any friends? With the Dominatus guys?" 

"I haven't really met any," Weijian started. "The only dude I met was that Sicheng guy. I took him to the market, remember?" 

Manaka snapped her fingers. "Oh! Yeah, I remember that dude," she said, recalling. "He seems like a nice guy. Did you get to know him?"

"Not really. We were pretty awkward, to be honest. But he is nice, from what I've seen."

Weijian and Manaka walked in silence, nearing the Pink Hall. Weijian normally kept her head down when she walked, which usually ended in her tripping over something. Manaka, on the other hand, had a tendency to hold her head high. She wasn't overly confident but knew how to walk straight. 

"Oh, Weijian!" Weijian looked up at an electrified Manaka. 

"What?" she asked, following her gaze. Across the street was Sicheng, casually strolling along with a friend. Instead of waving, Weijian turned her head away and looked at her feet. 

"Quickly, let's go," she whispered. She shoved Manaka along, getting closer to the Pink Hall. Manaka was confused when she turned around and stopped Weijian, holding her hands around her arms. 

"What is wrong with you? You're not gonna say hi? No, no. Not on my watch. You are an awkward witch, and we need to end that now-"

"Hey, Weijian!" 

Weijian and Manaka turned to see Sicheng across the street. He was waving merrily, the shy facade disappearing. It took Weijian a minute to process what was going on. If it weren't for Manaka smacking her not-so-lightly, she probably would've just stood there looking like a fool. 

She put on a smile and quickly waved back. Manaka nodded in approval behind her, hoping to go unnoticed. When she looked up, her eyes fell on the boy standing next to Sicheng. He was staring at her, just as she was at him. 

The boy had dark brown hair covering his forehead and fair skin. It wasn't sickeningly pale. She couldn't tell what color his eyes were, but Manaka saw the boy flash an award-winning smile at her, one that revealed his flawlessly straight and bright white teeth. 

Manaka awkwardly smiled back, laughing at herself on the inside. And I call Weijian awkward. 

She slightly waved before turning to see Weijian walking away. She walked with off with her, not realizing the boy was still staring at her. Sicheng forcefully dragged him off, trying to get the boy to stop looking like a fool.

Manaka and Weijian sat in their room, chatting away like they normally would, music playing in the background. Weijian, Manaka, and their friend group were big fans of Cut Copy, an early 2000s band from Australia. Weijian played Nobody Lost, Nobody Found in the background while the two talked, laughing away. 

Although Manaka was into the music and listening to Weijian talk, she still had the guy in the back of her mind. 'I wonder who he is...' She and Weijian were dancing around the room, cracking jokes and laughing away with the music. 

They were just having fun when the worst became a reality.

The speakers suddenly turned on, sirens blaring in the building. Weijian turned the music off and dragged Manaka out the door, the two running flying down the stairs, quaking with fear. The sirens got louder as red lights went flashing, the light hitting the walls. 

Weijian felt her heart pounding in her ears and saw Manaka shudder, a bead of sweat running down from the side of her head. They listened to the booming words on the speaker speak the words everyone feared. 

"Code Black. This is not a drill. I repeat: this is Code Black."