Chapter 5: Acting

Katie's POV

It hurt. It may have been Melissa that had been cheated on, but it hurt me too. I missed seeing my happy, preppy Supergirl. Now there was a dull look to her blue eyes. Her smile isnt quite as big. And it's all his fault. Rage flowed like lava in my veins, but to everyone else I was as calm as can be. The perks of being an actress. Our time in Canada was coming to and end and it seems that everyone has caught on that Melissa and Chris have broken up. The girls no longer speaks to him as much except for polite conversation. Even some of the men seem uncomfortable with talking to him.

I was on my way to my hotel room when I passed by Melissa's room.

"Katie?" I hear a quiet voice behind me 

"Yes?" She looks nervous and is blushing a little. Melissa was ok with Odette, Chyler and I. But there was few sleepovers besides the one time. She really did like those rubs.

"David invited me to his cousins wedding, and I was wondering" she paused and stepped out into the hallway. "If you would come with me?"

"Sure, I'd love to" I give her a smile. She still looks nervous.

"But I want you to pretend to be my date" The way she emphasized date made me realize what she was really asking. Some small part of me was screaming in excitement, but the other knew something else was the reason. "Chris will be at the wedding too." There it is.

"I understand. You want to make him jealous?" It was more a statement that came out a question. She nodded her head. "I dont mind doing it, but you do know that pretending to be girlfriends in front of other actors will be a little difficult?"

I didnt want to hurt her feelings, but actors can tell when someone is acting. She nods her head again. I smile and lean forward giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Then I'll see you then" I wink. My lips burn, wanting to kiss her some more, and Melissa has now turned bright red. I smirk and continue to go back to my room to start packing.

****

The week before the wedding has come and Melissa asked me to come over to her house. I packed a small duffle bag as per her and knocked on her door.

"Hi! Come on in" she beams. My heart flutters and for a moment and a sense of fear grips me at what I got myself into.

"So, I'm staying the week?" I question, setting my bag down.

"If you're ok with that. I figured that we should start practicing acting like a couple so that it's believable later. What do you think?" she asks biting a fingernail. I immediately get into character and walk over to her.

"Sounds fine, love" I say, kissing her cheek. She blushes and nods her head vigorously. "I'll cook dinner tonight." 

"You cook?" Melissa smiles. She shows me to a room while I explain to her how I learned to cook from my mum. I noticed that the room we entered seemed to already be taken.

"Is this your room?" I try to keep the shakiness from my voice, but I can't tell if I succeeded or not. Melissa played with her hands and wouldn't look me in the eye.

"Chris and I started sleeping together after about a month of dating. Since it's supposed to be 5 months since we started dating I figured..." she trailed off. I raised my eyebrows questioningly and surprised. "Not that kind of sleeping together! Just literally sleeping in the same bed."

Now it was my turn to blush. That wasn't what I meant at all, but I nodded in understanding and settled my things in for the week. She showed me where everything was in the kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, and a game room of sorts. I started cooking and shooed her out so she could start planning our time at David's cousins wedding. She told me all of her likes and dislikes, do's and don'ts, and pet-peeves. We ate dinner while I told her about myself, and it went relatively smoothly. I enjoyed spending this kind of time with Melissa, but there was that pang of sadness knowing that this wasn't real.