Chapter 33

Melissa's POV

I could nearly feel the heat in my eyes from my imaginary laser eyes when I heard Chris's name. Jeremy had a scared look in his eyes and I felt Katie shift. I noticed that she had a shocked expression on her face and her hand went immediately to her stomach. 

"Hey, honey, are you ok? Do you want to sit down?" I asked worriedly. 

Her green eyes turned to mine and I read her clearly. I nodded once before kissing her forehead, helping her sit down and then following Jeremy to where Chris was supposed to be. 

There was another room that was supposed to be our break room of sorts and spotted the man that I loathed with every fiber of my being. He turned around and I saw that he hadn't changed much. He wore plain jeans and and shirt, but he also had a nervous look on his face. He should be scared. 

I was struggling not to just walk up and punch him but managed to just glare instead. 

"What do you want?" I growled out. He shifted on his feet and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I wanted to see you" he says quietly. 

"That's nice. I dont want to see you. What are you doing here Chris? Did we not settle this years ago? I've moved on" I say exasperated. 

"I know you have. I just wanted to congratulate you and Katie on the baby" Chris says softly. 

His gentle tone was almost unnerving but I kept a straight face.

"No side comment? You really came all this way just for that?" I say annoyed. 

He shakes his head and continues to look at his feet as if he's submitting to me.

"I wanted to know if you would forgive me. I know you most likely wont, but I really do feel terrible for everything I've done to you and Katie" he says, choking up. He looks up then and I see tears in his eyes. I feel my shoulders start to slump and I look at him quizzically.  "I don't know if it's karma or something but you win. I lost everything and it took me losing everything to realize all of my mistakes that lead up to that. I just wanted to come so that I had peace with myself that I at least tried, but I dont blame you if you yell and scream or even punch me. I am sorry."

He sounds so defeated and the tears are now slowly running down his face. I was so confused. I wondered what had happened for him to be acting this way. I knew I had to keep my guard up since acting was his profession anyway. 

"How do I know this isnt some act?" I ask straight out. 

"You dont. That's why I dont expect you to forgive me, but I had to try. I wanted to make a good example" he sniffs. I then realize that we're not alone in the room. There's a little boy sitting behind Chris watching quietly from the sidelines. "Patrica left after he was born and was killed going on a plane with another man."

Chris's son didn't look any older than one years old. He blue little eyes watched his father intently as if he was trying to figure out what was happening. 

"I'm sorry" Was all I could get out. "I'm sorry for what you've been through, but I just cant trust you Chris."

"I understand. Again, I really am happy for you now Melissa, and I hope I get to see your kids grow to be like you and Katie."

Chris scooped up his son after wiping away a few more tears, gave me a small smile, and left the room. I was left with multiple emotions going through me and not knowing completely what had just happened. 

I took a moment to gather myself before returning to check on Katie.

"Melissa? Are you ok?" Katie stood up. Her hand was still gently caressing her belly and I walked over to her and pulled her in my arms. I buried my face in her hair and took her in.