Chapter 10

Katie's POV

I really wanted to talk to Melissa, but I received a message while getting ready for Supergirl. I walked to the spot on set they had told me and found Chris. I went to turn away when he grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"This little game you're playing with Melissa needs to stop" he hissed.

"What are you talking about?" I said legitimately confused.

"You have her completely fucking brainwashed. She wont talk to me, and shes somehow still pining after you! You better tell her to fuck off or I'll do it for you" he warns.

"I havent spoken to Melissa in months! I have done nothing to make her 'pine' after me and I wont tell her to go away!" I yell.

Some of the studio member look our way and I huff.

"You dug your own hole Chris. Now you have to dig your way out of it. I wont have you use me as a stepping stool" I growl lowly. I walk away from him, fuming, and meet up with Chyler. I see her give a dirty look over my shoulder and we walk away.

****

Chris has so far left Melissa and I alone. I know that Melissa wants to talk, but I just cant bring myself to do it. I dont want to just be friends. I realized how hard it was to pretend to be her girlfriend and then reality slap me in the face. Shes not mine. It kept replaying in my mind like a chant and I would often crumble beneath it.

I sat on my couch at home, trying to relax on my day off. I rubbed the back of my neck as I read through the book I had recently taken up. I then heard a knock on my door and I jumped. It was lightly raining outside so I hurried to open the door before whoever it was got soaked.

When I opened my door I saw Melissa standing there with a form fitting rain coat, black pants, and rain boots.

"Do you mind if I come in?" She asks softly as she squints against the rain. I come out of my stupor and let her inside, closing the door. I wrap my cardigan around me and stare. Why was she here?

"I'm sorry for not calling before I came, but I just couldnt wait" she says after a moment.

"Was there something that you needed?" I ask. I didnt want to be indifferent, but I hadn't spoken to her in so long it was as if I was speaking to her for the first time. She looked in my eyes then and I noticed that her usually sparkling blue looked haunted and dim.

"I need you" she murmured.

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks and I took a small step back.

"What?" God did I say that outloud?

"I need you Katie. I need your friendship. I need your presence. I just-" she paused chuckling in exasperation. "Hell, I miss everything. I want everything. I miss your friendship. I miss your presence. I miss your laugh. I miss your smile. I miss you telling me what I did wrong in a scene. I miss you nagging me if I had lunch."

I continued to stare at her and had my hands clenched to my chest. She then started to take small steps towards me.

"I miss laying next to you at night. I miss comforting you when you're sad. I miss trying everything in my power to make you happy. God, I'm such a fucking Kara!" She threw her hands up and slapped them on her sides. Still, I stayed silent and listened to her rant. I felt tears working their way out of my eyes. Melissa took another step and she wiped a tear away.

"I miss you Katie" she whispered, looking down.

There wasnt another point in time that I wanted to kiss her more than now, but I couldnt. I was glued to the ground. My limbs were numb and unable to move.

"I dont know what I'm feeling" she whispered again. "I dont know what this is. It might not be the same that you feel, but this wall between us is killing me. I wish I really were a Kryptonian that could burst through walls just so I could get to you."

I slowly brought my hands to her face and cupped her cheeks. My thumbs lightly wiped away a few tears that she had shed and I pulled her into a hug. We stayed that way, hugging and crying, for a while. I grabbed her hand and led her to the couch and we sat down. This time I pulled her into my arms and kissed the top of her head.

I loved holding her. We didnt speak after that. There were no words left to be said. We had stopped crying and Melissa had fallen asleep on top of me with her face buried in my neck. Her arms hung lazily around me and I drew shapes on her back. I looked at her sleeping form and concluded that she was telling the truth when she said she couldnt sleep. She shifted a little and hook her leg around me. Her lips grazed the skin on my neck and goosebumps immediately surfaced everywhere. I picked up strands of hair and played with them for a while so Melissa would sleep.

"Why did a Luthor have to fall in love with a Kryptonian?" I whispered.

I perched my head on a hand on the arm rest of the couch so I could look down at the woman in my arms. Before I knew it reality fell away and my dreams showed me what could be if Melissa had fallen for me too.

Melissa's POV

I would have fallen asleep being in Katie's arms, but this time I couldnt. We weren't in our usual sleepwear and she couldnt do her special rubs. Cant a girl just get her special rubs? Its not about you right now Mel.... Stupid conscience.

I shifted to hold her more and wrapped my leg around her. I knew if she thought I was asleep she wouldn't withdraw herself again. Then I finally heard the voice I've been waiting to hear.

"Why did a Luthor have to fall in love with a Kryptonian?" She whispered.

I felt her playing with my hair and I had to bite back a moan. She's still in love with me? There was something deep within me that did a little dance at this and it made my head hurt trying to figure out what it was.

Katie stopped playing with my hair and I knew she really was asleep. I peeked my eyes open and realized that I was right in her neck. I gave it a light kiss and got a little more comfortable. Whatever came when we woke up I would take it like Supergirl, but for now I was just Melissa Benoist that wanted to be with Katie McGrath.