Chapter 8

Melissa's POV

I lay there frozen the rest of the night. I remained silent and Katie left for a few minutes after. The bed felt cold without her, but I knew that it took a lot for her to confess. I thought that Katie might have gone to sleep somewhere else when she finally returned to the room. To my surprise she laid down with me and held me close. She seemed different this time. Like she was holding me to protect me from a greater evil instead of simply cuddling me like usual. It almost scared me. I wrap my arm around her and we fell asleep that way.

Katie's POV

I had to get out of there.  I couldnt hold her when my body was on fire.  I instead went to the kitchen for some water where I saw Chris getting the last of his stuff.

"I hope you're happy" he growled.

"I wasnt the one that cheated on a woman that treated me like I was the world" I hissed. He was really starting to piss me off with this pity party.

"So how long did she really wait until she started dating you? Or did you jump her as soon as you saw the chance?" His eyes were like ice and I wanted to punch him.

"I didnt do anything!" I said exasperated. "When will you just accept that Melissa moved on?"

"I was going to break up with Patrica so I could propose to Melissa!" He whispered harshly. We still didnt want to wake everyone up.

"You shouldn't have been dating two people at once! Stop trying to justify yourself!" I said through gritted teeth. I went to walk away and heard him sigh in frustration. "If you trully loved Melissa and were really going to do what you said, you would have fought to get her back."

I went back to the room and got into bed. As heated as I was I wanted to protect Melissa. My heart broke finding new things that had happened. She had no idea that he was dating someone let alone engaged to them, but now he pulls this crap? I could only hope that he wouldn't say anything at the wedding tomorrow.

****

I was getting ready and I felt weird. Melissa said nothing of last night and I kept my distance, but not too much so that other people would think something were wrong.

I knew Melissa had noticed it because she pulled me behind her to a secluded area.

"Are you ok Katie? You've been a little off" she says softly.

"Its nothing. I just feel bad if I made you uncomfortable last night" I mutter. I wanted to be honest with her. She gently laid a hand on my cheek urging me to look at her.

"I thought it was sweet" she whispered. I felt her get closer and my heart kickstarted thinking that we might kiss.

"You tell her now McGrath?"

My heart sank as I heard Chris behind us. Melissa pulled away, but kept a hold on me.

"Tell me what?" she asks suspiciously.

"I-.." Before I could get anything else out Chris cut me off.

"I was going to propose to you that day Melissa. I went to break it off with Patrica, but then you moved on. I wanted you to marry me" he says in a shockingly sweet voice. Melissa loosens her hold on me more and looked at me.

"You knew?" she whispers. I gave her a pleading look and she tore away from me completely. "You knew he wanted to propose?"

"Melissa, please let me explain" I begged.

"Why didnt you tell me!" She then walked away from us and I gave Chris a death glare.

For the rest of the wedding Melissa ignored me and everyone knew. They said nothing and went on as though nothing was wrong. When the after party came Melissa went to the room to change her outfit. I followed her to do the same.

"No more pretending Katie. Everything goes back to normal as soon as we're home" she mutters.

"Melissa, I swear I didnt know until last night" I nearly whine.

"How do I know that? Why did you really agree to this? Is this really a favor to a friend?" She looks at me intently.

"No" I look into her eyes. "I did it because I love you." I finished changing and went out, leaving her with a shocked expression.

We didnt speak for the rest of the night and then it was time to pack up for our flight tomorrow morning. We packed in silence and got into bed. Despite Melissa being mad at me, I knew she wouldn't be able to sleep with her special rubs.

I was lightly caressing her sides when I heard it. Soft sobs from the woman that was facing away from me. My hand stilled and I sat up. I waited unsure if I should say something or not. Melissa sat up after what seemed like an eternity.

She still cried as she hugged her knees to herself. I wanted desperately to comfort her but my limbs felt like concrete.

"You really didnt know until yesterday?" she whispered. I nodded thinking she might see it and whispered a yes. "So, you were telling the truth."

"I would never lie to you Melissa. I didnt tell you that night because I didnt think it to be my place to do so. I'm just the actress" I murmured. I hugged my own knees and looked at the blankets in front of me.

I flinched when I felt her head lean on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry for not believing you. Chris knows how to get in my head and I just reacted" she said tearfully.

"You dont have to apologize. When we go home everything goes back to normal" It sounded more like I was convincing myself that this was happening.

What have I gotten myself into? Did I really do the right thing? Maybe I should just keep things professional between us for a while. Supergirl and Lena Luthor go back to how it's supposed to be.

I laid back down facing her and she did the same. I curled into myself unable to look at her. I fell into a fitful sleep and the next thing I knew I was on a plane back home.