Chapter 38

Katie's POV

It's been a few weeks since I started watching Thomas and he was such a sweet boy. It took a while for him to be comfortable around Melissa and I, but once he was it was joyous. Bethany absolutely fell in love with him when she had come home to visit for her break at college. Anna was the favorite though. When she had come with Bethany, Thomas immediately attached to her hip and would only listen to her. He was nearly two and he was very bright. Bethany would play some learning games for babies with him and I would hear them laughing from the kitchen. I smiled thinking that the same laughter will fill the house once our own child is born. 

I read some more of Melissa's journal and I can't say that it was all happiness after Chris. The last entry I read was about the dream she had when I had come running only to find her in tears. 

Journal,

Last night was going well until I fell asleep. We had a movie night with the girls and I was on Katie's lap. Her special rubs felt so good I couldnt help but close my eyes. But my dream keeps haunting me. We were back at Phil's wedding. It was as if nothing after that trip had happened. This time it was different. Chris gave me dirty looks and yelled at me. Everyone looked at me with judgmental eyes like I had done something very wrong. I would be shoved, cursed at, or asked to leave without saying a word. That wasnt what made it a nightmare though. It was Katie. The look on her face was of pure sorrow. She acted like I wasnt there and I would see a tear leave the corner of her eye before she would turn away. I couldnt understand what was happening. The dream felt so much like reality that I was giving up. It was too real and I couldnt stand to see that look on Katie's face. Each time I would reach out to her I felt like my legs couldnt move. When I woke up I felt her arms finally around me and I cried. She rubbed my back but it only made me cry more. I buried my face in her neck not being able to look at her face. If I looked at her face too soon I would see that expression she wore in the dream. I clung to her for dear life, and it was then I knew. I know that I dont ever want to lose her. I have gone through two bad breakups that I dont want to lose my last ray of sunshine either. No matter what happens, reality or dream, I will do whatever it takes to keep my Lena Luthor. 

It had brought me to tears of what my wife must have been going through internally at the time. 

I looked at the clock and Melissa walked into the bedroom. I was putting away laundry and she flopped onto the bed, destroying a few piles of folded clothes I had made.  

"Must you feel the need to undo everything I do?" I mock annoyance. She looks over to me with that smile and those eyes and I'm immediately won over. 

"I'll help you fold them again. I just wanted to be near you" she says. She sits up and sits cross legged while starting to refold the laundry she had messed up. I leaned over to give her a soft kiss and my now big belly tipped over another pile. I laughed as I pulled away from her. 

"Who's destroying what now?" she raised an eyebrow. I playfully stuck my tongue out at her and resumed my folding. 

"Hey, honey" she murmurs.

"Yes, darling."

"What do you want to name the baby?" she says softly. I pause and look at my wife. She's biting her lip as if she were anxious and fidgeted with her fingers. 

"Well, we dont know if it's a boy or a girl. Did you have any names already in mind?" I ask innocently. 

"I was thinking if it was a girl we could name her Kara, but her middle name could either be Lena or Kieran. Or Lena Kara, but that doesnt sound as nice. Maybe Lena Kieran because I like your name better. I'm not sure about a boy. I was thinking Winn, but I'm open to anything you might like. The same thing with a girl" she babbled.

I smiled and caressed her cheek.

"As long as my reality is with you, we can name our child whatever you want."

A big wide grin spread across her face and she nodded her head vigorously.

Once we had finished putting the clothes away we got into bed. My belly was getting much too big for me to be the big spoon so I had to settle for being the little one. Not that I'm complaining, but I really like giving Melissa the special rubs. I could feel her hand gently caressing my bulging stomach and I smiled to myself. I closed my eyes and listened to the soft snores coming from the beautiful woman behind me.

Melissa's POV

I could tell Katie was nesting when she asked me to rearrange our furniture. Again. Everyday. Sometimes every hour. I didnt mind it though. I enjoyed seeing the excitement in her emerald eyes. We were in the nursery when Bethany walked in.

"Hey, rearranging again?" She smiled.

"I dont know. I like the way things look one day and then I dont the next. What do you think?" Katie frets.

"I think it looks fine mother. So, only one more month left. Are you as excited as I am?"

"Oh please, no one is as excited as I am" I boast. I finish moving the crib and do a funky pose.

"I'm sure mother is excited too, just not for the pain everyone keeps saying" Bethany giggles.

"Not really, but I'm still excited nonetheless" Katie smiles.

Katie sits down in one of the rocking chairs and I give Bethany a hug.

"You're not going to be able to get our of that alone" I tease, giving Katie a pointed look.

"I am perfectly capable of doing things myself still" she retorts.

I shrug and lead Bethany just out into the hallway. I motion for her to pause and we wait to see what Katie will do. We could hear the rocker moving and  a few grunts. I then hear her sigh and she calls for me.

When I enter the room once more her cheeks are tinted pink and she looks down at her feet.

"Not a word" she growls. Must be in her grumpy mood.

I dont say anything and gently help her out of the chair. Bethany has a hand over her mouth to keep herself from laughing. Katie walks out of the room and we finally let our laughter out.