Chapter 16

Melissa's POV

As soon as Katie had sent me the invite for a movie night I immediately accepted. I hadn't spent time with her outside of work for a while. I gently knocked on her door and saw that she was in a dark blue shirt with light jeans and her hair up in a messy bun.

"H-hey Katie" God, did I seriously just stutter?

"Hi, want to come in?" She smiled. I didnt trust myself to speak again so I just nodded and followed her inside. Her house was exactly how I remembered it. "Its just you and I tonight. I hope you're ok with that?"

"Yeah, that's fine. Less people to fight over picking a movie" I joke. Katie laughed and my heart rate sped up.

"That's very true. Why dont you pick one out now while I make some snacks?"

I walked to the living room to pick out a movie and to my surprise Katie sat next to me. I sat still and kept my hands to myself. I gradually started to relax and Katie leaned against me. At first I thought she had fallen asleep, but I would hear her giggle every now and then at the movie. I shifted to put some distance when my skin began to burn at the physical contact.

Katie wrapped an arm around my torso and snuggled in to my shoulder. This is it. This is how I die. I tentatively put an arm around her shoulders and we stayed like that. When the movie was over we were both tired after today and Katie suggested we go to sleep. She stood up and started to walk toward the hallway when she paused.

"Aren't you coming to bed?" She said softly. I swallowed the lump in my throat and followed. I got into my pajamas in the bathroom and got into Katie's bed. I had been there many times before, but this was different.

She turned off the light and I felt the bed dip slightly as she got under the covers. I turned to her and noticed that she was also facing me. The top of her head was at my nose and I couldnt help chuckle as it tickled me.

"What's so funny?" She asks.

"Your hair is tickling my nose" I giggle. I feel her start to move away and my hand shot out to grab her. "Come here, we'll just adjust."

I pulled her against me so that her head was now tucked under my chin. I put my arm around her shoulders and I felt a soft hand start to go under my shirt. I suck in a breath as she starts to rub my bare back and I nearly moan.

"Better?" She whispered. I could feel her breath on my chest and I pull her closer.

"Much better."

Katie's POV

I woke up and I was tangled up in Melissa. My hand still rested beneath her shirt on her back and I slowly retracted it. Her soft breathing on my head felt amazing and we were pressed together completely. I felt a buzzing within me and I snuggled into her neck. Knowing that she loved me nearly brought tears to my eyes, but I wanted to give her the chance to tell me herself. I looked at the clock on the other side of her and noticed that it was 6:30 in the morning. I gently took her arm off of me and sat up. I hung my legs off the side of the bed and stretched. I felt something shift behind me and turned to see two blue orbs looking at me.

"Since it's our day off, what are you upto?" I smile.

"I dont know, but do you have to kill me by showing off your abs?" She groaned. I blushed a little at her comment and laughed.

"Come on, let's get up" I nudge her a little and she grabbed hold of my wrist.

"Five more minutes" she mumbled. I shook my head and got my wrist back. Without thinking a leaned over and kissed her temple.

"I'm making breakfast and if you aren't up, you won't have any" I walk out if the room and hear her stumbling about.

"Kissing me like that is trickery!" She called. I decided to test the waters and flirt a bit.

"Where else would I have kissed you?" I saw her appear in the doorway of the hallway with her arms crossed and a bright blush on her face.

"Its not about where" she mumbled.

"Then what's the problem?" I pull out some pans to make some eggs and she sits down behind me.

****

The rest of our day went along without any bickering after that. We decided to go to the beach, but I was a bit skeptical.

"You dont like to go to the beach?" Melissa asked.

"Its not that I dont want to go. I just-.." I trailed off and a smile spread across her face.

"If your worried about people staring..." she said with a grin.

"That's not it either!" I blushed. Melissa laughed and poked my side.

"Then dont worry about it. If they do stare at you I'll have to quote some classics" she says mischievously.

"And how is that?"

"I want to claim you, you unearthly thing!" She exclaims and pulls me into her arms. She picks me up and we walk out into the sand.

"Put me down! You're the unearthly thing! You're supposed to be a kryptonian!" I try to wiggle free, but she has a tight hold. I notice that she isnt stopping and shes getting closer to the water. "Melissa, you better not do what I think you're going to do."

Theres an evil look in her eye and her feet start to enter into the water. I cling to her for dear life and she gets all the way in. I'm shaking from the cold and dont let go.

"Its not that bad" she teases. I glare at her and tear away. I float on my back and close my eyes.

I enjoy the little warmth that does come from sun above me and smile. I then felt a hand glide up my leg and I jerk upward. I come face to face with Melissa and her blue eyes are darker than usual. Her lips are parted a little and shes right up close to my face. Her hands rested on my hips and I trembled beneath her touch. What are we doing?