Chapter 40

Katie's POV

Journal,

They've just announced that we were going to Vancouver! For a year! And I'm sharing a room with Katie! God I feel like I'm going to EXPLODE. As soon as we were paired I could see Katie blush and I was filled with this warmth that I can't explain. We leave in a few days now and I cant wait! I feel like a teenager again. I'm packing all of my bags in a frenzy. I tried to play it cool at the studio so it didnt seem weird to Katie. Do you think she noticed? Why am I asking paper... I'm so excited!

I smiled down at my wife's handwriting. I could just picture what she might have been like in high school.

I continued to rock on the bench Melissa had gotten for me. She claimed it would be good for me and the baby to lay down and rock together. Now her head lay in my lap fast asleep with one hand softly giving her special rubs. I smiled again but suddenly turned painful. I accidentally scratched her back and her blue eyes opened in alarm. Another contraction and I was sitting in liquid.

"Mel" I groaned. She sat up quickly and lifted me off the swing. The next thing I knew I was in the passenger seat of our car safely strapped in, and in a lot of pain.

I looked over to Melissa, who hadn't said a word, and saw that she had a look of determination on her face. When we arrived at the hospital she helped me out of the car and calmly told the nurses that I was in labor.

The pain I was experiencing was out of this world. They immediately put us in a room and said that I was already dilated 8cm. They put my feet in the stirrups and I grasped Melissa's hand tightly.

"You doing fine love. Squeeze all you want. If you break my hand this would be the place" she cooes to me.

"This is no time to joke Melissa!" I hiss. I knew I shouldnt be an asshole but it just hurt so bad.

She continued to coax me through and the baby still wouldnt come out. My eyes were closed as I groaned through another push. They had notified us that Bethany was waiting outside with Anna, along with some cast from Supergirl. I felt a shift in the hand I was crushing and realized she was climbing into the bed with me.

She sat with her legs on either side of me and grabbed both of my hands.

"You can do it Lena" she whispered in my ear. That's all it took and I let out a guttural scream as I pushed with all I had left.

"Its a girl!" They cheered.

They placed my baby girl on my chest and I cried softly. Melissa placed little kisses on my neck and head. After a few moments they took her away to be cleaned. I immediately wanted to snatch her back but I was completely wiped out. I slumped back against Melissa and she held me. She continued to kiss me and I groaned.

"Mel, I'm much too sweaty to be kissed right now" I said quietly.

"A little salt never killed anyone" she murmured back. "I love you Katie."

I smiled and snuggled into her. I had fallen asleep for a few minutes when I heard them bring the baby back. Melissa made her way out from behind me and reached for the infant. Her strong arms made the baby look so small but I smiled at the sight of them. She slowly walked back to me and leaned in to show me her face.

I let a tear slip out and kissed Melissa's cheek.

"I think Lara wants her other mommy" she smiles.

She places her in my arms and I look down at her in awe. Melissa kisses the side of my head.

"I'm going to go tell the others the good news. I'll keep them at bay for a while so you can rest" she says softly.

"Ok, but come back to me" I look up at her. She leans in and presses our foreheads together.

"Always."

Melissa's POV

Finally home with little Lara everyone had done their gushing at the hospital. They had all let us settle in and rest the Lara before bombarding us anymore for the new baby. I was in the nursery looking for her pacifier when Katie walked in. She had her Star Wars T-shirt and my black sweatpants on. Her hair was let down in waves around her and my heart immediately reacted.

"Lara fell asleep in the room. Did you find her pacifier?" she asked. I shook my head and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"I didnt but I found something better" I grin.

"You're such a goof. Bethany said she would be coming over later to start learning how to help with Lara" she said.

"Already abusing her sister privileges to get ahead of everyone. Do you want to join me in taking a nap too?" I rested my cheek against the top of Katie's head and felt her nod.

"I'm really tired, but the bed and special rubs are calling us." I inwardly did a little dance and practically skipped to the bedroom.

I laid down facing Katie as her hand snuck up my shirt. I relished in the feeling if her soft hands on my back. I replayed everything we had ever been through together. The first time we met, the wedding, the move, Chris, our wedding, Bethany, and finally Lara.

I snuggled closer to her and slowly drifted off to sleep. Only to hear Lara cry.

*****

I was cleaning the kitchen with Bethany when I saw Katie leave to take Lara upstairs for a nap in the nursery.

"I can finish up here mom. Anna and I were going to go to the movies. Do you need me to get anything while we're out?" Bethany asked, putting a dish to dry.

"No, go have fun with your girlfriend. I'm going to make sure mother is ok" I smiled giving her a kiss on the head. I pulled her into a hug and looked at her. "I love you, you know that?"

"I know mom. You tell me everyday" she smiles back.

We say our goodbyes and I make my way upstairs. I peek into the nursery to see Katie in the rocking chair with Lara fast asleep. I smile at them and cant help but be thankful that my reality has turned into a fairytale.