Chapter 39

Melissa's POV

The more Katie would read from the journal I knew the more affectionate she would get. Her due date was approaching and I knew that her hormones must be at its highest. I was filming a scene with Chyler when I noticed Katie off to the side.

Her large belly screamed that she would pop at any moment. My own was filled with butterflies at the anticipation of the upcoming baby. I smiled and finished off the scene before making my way to her.

"Any kicking today?" I ask softly.

"This morning they were pretty active but I think they're asleep right now" Katie said, rubbing her stomach.

I step up and wrap my arms around her and place a soft kiss on her lips. I could feel her smiling and I giggled. Chyler passed us making a gagging sound before sitting down in one of the chairs set out for us. I raise an eyebrow at her and she flips me off.

"Why is she so moody?" I mutter. Katie laughs and rests her head on my chest.

The last few months have been quite hard. Between mood swings, cravings, physical and emotional draining, Katie was ready for the baby to come.

We were given a break from filming and I lead her over to the couch of Kara's apartment. We sat down and I pulled out my phone to call Bethany.

"Hey kiddo! What are you up to?" I smile.

"Hey mom! Nothing much. Anna and I are just watching a movie to take a break from studying" Bethany responds. I could hear chatter in the background and a sigh come from my daughter. "Anna wants to talk to you."

"Hi Melissa! Hello Katie! I hope you guys are doing ok?" I hear Anna's cheery voice come through.

"We're doing just fine. I am ready to have this child though" Katie chuckles.

"I bet you are. Bethany and I should be coming back home next week once our last final is done. Are you going to be busy?"

"Never too busy for you two! Just stop by the house. Filming should be over early in the day now that we're almost done" I say.

"Cool! I'll make sure Bethany takes a shower" There was protesting in the background and Katie and I laugh.

"We'll see you next week!"

With that we hung up and Katie leaned against my shoulder.

"I really do miss our daughter. I feel like she was only really with us a few days than weeks" Katie says sleepily.

"Take a nap honey. I'll have your strawberry yogurt when you wake up" I place a kiss to her head. I feel a nudge on my side.

"Make it vanilla" she mumbles. I feel her slump against me and I wrap an arm around her and play with a few strands of hair.

"Ill get you strawberry."

Katie's POV

I specifically asked for vanilla and she got me strawberry. I looked at the grinning face of my wife as she held a cup of strawberry yogurt out to me. As irritated as I was I could never be mad at her. I took the cup and practically huffed as I took a bite. Damn shes good.... I gave her a sour look and she continued to give me her Kara grin.

"Did I win?" She asks cheekily. I grunt and turn away, not wanting to admit she was right. "I love you."

She kissed my temple and skipped away to join the team for some more filming. I had to smile at her childishness and continued to nibble on my strawberry yogurt.

Chyler walked over to me with her baby in a little pouch, sound asleep.

"Well hello there" I greet quietly.

"Hey. Sorry, Maggie fell asleep as soon as I started walking" she smiled.

"Shes such a cute little baby. I'm happy to hear that you named her after your characters?" I grin.

"Its a mouthful. Margaret Alexandra Lima-Leigh. So far she doesnt really cry though. She sleeps and cries a little when she wants something" Chyler gushes like a proud mama.

"I'm ready to pop. My due date is next week. Melissa and I are really excited to finally see what we're having" I rub my stomach a little.

"We're all waiting to see what you're having. You should warn Melissa that you'll be extra pissy when you're in labor. I almost tore poor Flor's head off" Chyler laughed.

Floriana then walked up to us and kissed her wife and child hello.

"What are you talking about?" She smiles.

"Murder" I mumble around my spoonful of yogurt.

Floriana gives us a questioning look and we burst out laughing. Once Chyler and Floriana leave to change the baby I took out the journal.

Journal,

I think I'm starting to fall for a Luthor. Or McGrath. Whichever you want to go by. Ever since that nightmare I get the jitters when I'm around Katie. Not that its uncomfortable, but like a school girl with a crush. God, I'm adult now! I should be able to speak my thoughts and feelings freely. I consider Katie my best friend. I should be able to tell her anything, right? I heard there was a gala coming up. Maybe I'll ask Katie to go with me. I really hope that I dont embarrass myself. Shes seen me at my worse but still. I feel like I need to impress her. We'll see how it goes.

I flip the page to read the next entry. Everyone is still doing something else so I figured I had time to read one more.

Journal,

I was too late. Oddette asked Katie to the gala before I could. I went on my own and met with some people from Supergirl to talk to. I couldnt bare to see Katie. I would slip up and say something I shouldn't. Who am I to tell Katie who she can and cant go to a party with? But god her dress.... Everything about her that night seemed to glow. I saw as she turned around to give one last look out into the crowd and my heart stopped. I saw no one else but her. I knew that I would one day want to claim her as mine. I sound like a fucking cheeseball right now. What is happening to the Girl of Steel? One look from emerald eyes and I'm overcooked spaghetti. Later that night I saw her share a kiss with Odette and any and all images of us being together shattered. It was childish of me but I ran. I went home, tore off that suffocating dress, and showered to rid myself of this horrible feeling. I wish that I could just turn back time. Grown the courage to tell my best friend my feelings. I guess Supergirl and I have another thing in common. We just cant tell the girl our true identity. The only problem is that I'm in reality, wishing that it were really an alternate universe.

I finished the next page and I felt a tear trail down my cheek. I wasnt alone. She had felt the same things that I did. I rubbed my swollen belly and felt the love in me burn.