Chapter 37

Melissa's POV

I stared down at the journal I had written for Katie and debated whether I should give it to her now or not. There were so many thoughts and feelings written down on the pages that I wasnt sure how she would respond. I wrestled with myself as Katie laid next to me sound asleep. I looked over to her and watched the soft rise and fall of her body. She hugged the body pillow I had gotten her. I smiled to myself and lightly ran my fingers through her hair. 

I was finishing getting ready for work when I felt a kiss on my shoulder. 

"Have fun today. I'll be waiting for you here. Just please dont go crazy with Jenna and Jeremy again and throw powdered donuts at each other" Katie chuckled. 

"Um, Jenna started it and I cant speak for Jeremy" I mocked offense. 

I turned around to see her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. 

"I'll behave I promise" I smile. "I also left you something in the dresser. Just read it when you can."

I bit my lip nervously and kissed her goodbye. Once I was outside of the house I could feel the nerves start to take over. It was going to be a long day.

Katie's POV

I was confused by what Melissa was so nervous about. I walked to the bedroom again to see a little book on our dresser. Butterflies erupted in my stomach knowing that this was the journal that I had waited for. I looked at the clock and noticed that Chris and Chyler wouldnt be coming for another hour or so. I  took the journal to the living room and sat down. I stared down at it for a while and slowly opened it. Melissa's neat handwriting was sprawled across the pages. I Saw the first entry.

Journal,

Today has been amazing! I had a dance off with David today and goofed around a bit on set. Katie seemed to be having a good time and Im glad. I like seeing a smile on her face. I really wonder what her skincare routine is. Ill have to ask her tomorrow. Tonight Im going on a date with Chris but he said that it would have to be late because he had something else to do. He didnt say what but im sure its nothing big. Maybe he's going to propose soon! 

I couldnt read the rest of the page and instead turned to the next one.

Journal,

Chris didnt propose. Instead he actually cheated. I got a phone call from him but it was another woman. I couldnt tell who she was but I tried to get it over with quickly. Im hurt beyond belief. I trusted him and he's engaged to someone else! I cant tell if shes the other woman or if I am. Its so confusing and I want to be held. Maybe I'll go find Katie. She always knows what to do. But what if shes busy? What if I sound like Im being dramatic? No. Katie's not like that. She's just right next door. I should go. My heart is beating a million miles per hour. Maybe it's still from the phone call. I'm going to go to Katie now before my legs give out. 

I stopped reading after the second entry and saw the tear stains speckled on the page. I looked up at a picture of Melissa and I on a side table. Our foreheads were pressed together and Melissa had her eyes closed in a smile. The sunshine was hitting her just right and she looked like the most beautiful person I had ever seen. I rubbed my belly and thought about the little human being growing inside of me. I turned to the clock and saw that I had 15 minutes until Chris and Chyler were supposed to come over. I can read a little more....

Journal

I know I made the right decision in going to Katie about the breakup with Chris. I slept over her room and it was oddly enjoyable. Not that I dont like spending time with Katie. I liked spending time with Katie. Especially when she rubs my back. It felt so good I almost felt bad for liking the feeling of it better than Chris... It was the feeling of her nails gently dragging across my skin that I immediately fell asleep. She was so comforting. I felt safe laying there next to her. When I woke up I liked seeing her. As creepy as it seem she looked really pretty asleep. I wanted to watch her sleep but I thought it would be awkward so I pretended to be asleep when she woke up. She nuzzled me and I felt an odd feeling in my gut. I really liked the little note she had left for me when she went to meet up with everyone else. David had texted me later that day about his cousin's wedding and I immediately thought of Katie. I know Chris is supposed to be at the wedding. Maybe Katie will help me with that...

I stopped reading after hearing a knock on the door. I reluctantly put down the journal and went to the door. 

"Hi, I hope I'm not too early" Chris says shyly. 

"Not at all, Chyler should be here in a few minutes" I smile. I see Thomas hiding behind his father and smile at him. 

"Alright buddy. Daddy has to go to work but you can play with Katie ok?" Chris crouches down. 

The poor boy doesnt understand and starts to cry a little. 

"Hey, there's no tears here. Come on we can make some cookies" Chyler says walking up behind them. Thomas perks up at the sound of cookies and reaches out for Chylers hand. 

"He'll be fine. We'll see you later today?" Chyler turns to Chris. 

"Yeah, I should be done around 5, and thank you guys for doing this. It really means a lot" Chris looks at us both. 

"Of course. Now hurry and shoo before he realizes you're leaving."

With that I closed the door and Chyler lead Thomas to the kitchen where she set the bag she was carrying down. 

"Ok, we'll make cookies now and by the time they're done we'll eat some lunch" Chyler says to him. 

"Tay" he mumbles. The poor thing was as shy as could be and I smiled at him. He watched with curious eyes as Chyler and I pulled out all of the ingredients for the cookies. 

Once we got started he gradually started to come out of his shell and giggle every now and then. I watched as he put a dot of frosting on my sister-in-law's nose and wondered what mine and Melissa's child would be like. He turned his eyes to me and put a chubby hand on my face. I had frosting smeared on my cheek but I didnt care. I just enjoyed the sample of what having a child this small would be like.