The Day Everything Changed

I TIED MY HAIR hastily as I am late for my morning appointment. I grabbed a piece of bread from my cupboard and ran towards the door, carefully handling my little bag that contains most of my self-made medicine. Yes, I make medicine. Of course we have medicines made from science but this is Sandovia. Sandovia is a mixture of ancient and modern aesthetics and that doesn't stop there. As many as modern medicine advances here, there are also people like me who practice the traditional way of healing. I collect herbs, study them, and make the medicine.

"You are so late, Liliana." Bungad sa'kin ng aking kasamahan.

I gave her an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry. The concoction I made last night finished so late. Where's my patient?"

She just moved her head to the door and I raced towards it.

I work in some kind of clinic for traditional medicine. We sell medicinal plants too for those people who can't afford the expensive medicines. I have always been in love with plants since I was young when my grandmother used to have her garden. I would help her with her garden and in exchange, she'll tell me all the medicinal properties of every single plant in there. The smell of the moist soil and the aroma of the plants blended together just smelled divine for me.

My grandma was a healer and I've always wanted to become like her. Shw taught me everything I know. Thus, here I am now. Agad kong binuksan ang pinto ng kwarto only to be greeted by shiny and extravagant outfits with rich colors that almost blinded me. I checked the room number again to make sure if I entered the right one because as far as I can remember, my patient today is an old woman and not these two men clad in extravagance.

"You entered the right room. Come inside, Miss Liliana West. Someone wishes to speak to you --"

"Emerich Sardon." I blurted out as I eyed the man sitting comfortably on the room's sofa making himself at home, looking not so interestingly at the small vials of medicine.

"Honorifics, lady."

I eyed the courtier who looks about my age -- both of them are actually about my age. One a High Lord's son and the other one, a courtier. I have such interesting visitors today.

"I am a Courtier of the Court, Janus. Lord Emerich wishes to talk to you about his ... wishes." I eyed both of them.

"And what has that got to do with me?" I crossed my arms and eyed the courtier who introduced himself as Janus. The man sitting on the sofa finally stood up and stood beside his courtier.

"I'll take it from here. You can leave now." The high lord's son said without looking at his courtier. The man who called himself Janus bowed and exited the room leaving me and Lord Emerich alone.

"Since you've come to my clinic I presume you have an issue with your health."

I turned my back on him and I felt him stepped closer. I discreetly pulled the small knife I hid under the table. If anything comes to worst, I don't care if he's a High Lord's son.

I gasped when he held my shoulder and forced me to face him. I pointed my small knife at him. He doesn't even seem fazed by it. I felt his hand closing into my throat.

"Such a futile effort. Is this how you greet your visitors?"

"I...d-don't consider you..a v-visitor at all." I said as his hand tightened around my throat.

I grabbed his hand to let go of my throat but he just grinned. His other hand took the knife and threw it away.

"But you are brave to point it to me. I'll give you that."

I coughed so hard as soon as he let go of me. My knees got weak. I've never been scared my whole life. What the hell does he want?

He casually straightened his coat and put his hands behind him as if nothing happened.

"I've come to ask your hand for marriage. Be at the palace tomorrow. If not, expect the worst."

* * *

A/N: Another story coming soon. Please support this one too just like how you supported my other works. Thank you! 😊