Chapter 14: Day Out

I WOKE UP earlier than usual the next morning. Agad akong nagpunta sa infirmary para asikasuhin ang mga pasyente until I found out that I ran out of certain herbs. And apparently, I can only find it on the city.

I was getting ready to get out of the manor when I found Luca and Levi in the gate. Nakataas ang kilay ko habang nakatingin sa kanilang dalawa. They were all dress up, looking intimidating with their hands on their pockets. Luca saw me first and grinned dahilan para mapatingin din si Levi sa direksyon ko.

"We heard you're going out so we decided to tag along."

This time, my brows furrowed.

"I didn't tell anyone I'm going out today."

Luca walked closer and patted my shoulder. "Of course, you didn't. Davis heard it and told Exene and Exene told us to come with you."

"Davis watches my every move and reports it to Exene?"

Napatingin ako kay Levi, hoping to get some explanation because he seems to be the sensible one between the two but he just shrugged. I wonder if they knew Exene's suspicions about Apollo wanting to get me. But then again, they are Exene's generals. Of course they know.

"A beautiful lady like yourself should be watched and shouldn't let to wander alone."

I rolled my eyes upward and started walking towards the gate.

"I can handle myself St. Delphis."

"We know." They said in unison while walking a step behind me.

"But we should keep an eye on the Duke's fiancé shouldn't we?"

Muntik na akong matalisod sa nilalakaran ko nang marinig iyon. I whirled to see them both grinning. How  on earth did they know about that? I thought that's something between the Duke and me. But then again these two has some way know about certain things. Or perhaps Exene told them himself.

I straightened. "Of course." Tanging nasabi ko lang bago tumalikod and nagsimulang maglakad.

* * *

I didn't know the herbs store is so far away. It it basically at the end of the city almost to the border. Our walk to the store could have been faster if it weren't for those women who comes randomly and clings their arm to one of the twins. Tinatagal pa ng halos tatlo hanggang limang minuto para paalisin ang mga ito. And it took a lot of discussion bago nila ito nagawang paalisin.

"The next time you go out with me, cover your faces." I told them and they just grinned.

The store was like a modern shack. And the area around is so wide it stretched far behind the shack kung saan may nakikita akong mga taong magbubungkal ng lupa. A very wide garden of herbs of all sorts. I should make a note to buy the plants I need in the greenhouse here.

We were greeted by an old man, probably in his mid 60's. The twins merely bowed slightly and the old man bowed in return.

"A woman. So it's true. You two knows how to share." Sabi ng matanda.

I heard them cough behind me dahilan para samaan ko sila ng tingin.

"I am Liliana West, the healer of the Duke's house."

The old man, with his hands on his back, back slightly curved, looked at me. His eyes is so small yet I can see he's looking at me from head to toe.

"A healer. Why would the Duke need a healer if he himself is a doctor?"

"He has his reasons, old Kane." Sagot ni Levi.

Tumango tango lang ang matanda at tumalikod.

"A healer in my shack. I know exactly what you need." The old man motioned us to follow him inside. The shack looked small outside but it surely looks massive inside. Rows of vials were arranged neatly on huge shelves. Some of those vials probably took hours or days to prepare.