Chapter 34 : Clear

IT'S BEEN WEEKS since the incident. Exene was busy going to the hospital to help with treating women we just saved from Apollo. Luca often comes to my clinic for my ointments. He's recovering really fast. Levi is helping Exene and the Palace to track down Apollo's whereabouts and Davis is nowhere to be found. The last time I talked to him was when I was on the ship. After that, I haven't seen him since then. Exene said he had some business somewhere else and that it is normal for Davis to disappear from time to time since that's what he does. Exene's master spy. But I have a different feeling about it.

"Your succulents are pretty."

I whirled to see Levi standing at the entrance of the greenhouse.

"Oh. You're home early."

"Someone wants to get home early."

They've been saying that since that incident happened. As if I and Exene couldn't live without each other. As if we're .. in love.

"Aren't you?"

"Pardon?"

"Aren't you excited to see him? You haven't seen each other for days." He grinned. I rolled my eyes and went back to what I was doing before he came.

"Why would I be? I'll be there after I finish this stuff. And please," I turned to face him again. "Stop the teasing already,"

He held up both his hands and shook his head. He let out a small chuckle before he walked out. I sighed. It's been quite the past days. Not because most of the people in the house have their own matters to deal with outside, but because of the fact that since Apollo went missing, there were no unfortunate events happening in Araenon. It is safe to assume it's him behind all this. And it's good that he's been on the run and Exene and the others are after him. But I am not sure why I have a bad feeling about this. It's been weeks and they still haven't caught him.

I sighed and stretched my arms. I've spent all my afternoon tending the plants. Plucking out what needs to be plucked and collecting some herbs I will use for my ointments later.

I jumped on my feet when I heard a thud behind me.

A broken pot.

And Exene, looking guilty as hell is standing near the broken pot.

"What did you do?"

"I--uh--"

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long." He shrugged and inserted his hands to his pockets.

I gave him a look making sure he gets the message that I don't believe him.

He sighed and held up his hand. "Not too long, I swear."

I scoffed.

"Let's take a walk." He said.

I gave him a questioning look. "All of a sudden?"

He gave me a shrug, showing this is making him nervous just like me. Or maybe not.

"We haven't really spent time together since the..incident."

"Are we supposed to?" I turned my back against him and focused on the plants.

He was silent that's why I faced him again. I saw him shrugged while he was playing with the succulent leaves.

"Alright. Leave the poor plant alone and let's take a walk."

His eyes darted to my direction. "Shall we?" he gestured a hand and I followed him out of the greenhouse.

The sun is already setting and it's getting dark. But the lanterns around the garden were lit up. If it were another setting, I would consider it romantic.