Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon

I THINK MY SOUL already left me as I sat and watch the small performance prepared by the Quinny. She volunteered to do it and I was expecting some kind of normal dancing but I was greeted by sword dancing.

Quinny looked amazing. She wore an Oregonian traditional dress and danced to a traditional song.

"Enjoying yourself, love?" Exene whispered on my ear loud enough for his parents to hear.

"Next time, inform me about crucial things like that. I stood there trying to figure out what the hell you meant by 'love'." I whispered, almost a hiss.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures. It saved both our asses."

I sighed. He has a point. I should really get myself used to spontaneous situations such as earlier.

I reached for his hand and leaned on to his shoulder. I shifted and looked at him. I gave him my sweetest smile.

"Is this alright? Am I doing this right?"

Shock was visible on his face. I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing. He wasn't expecting this at all.

"Now you know how it feels to be in a very spontaneous situation."

He gained composure and gave me a smirk. "I think you should stop looking like that."

"Looking like what?"

He chuckled, "Looking like you're seducing me."

It was as if cold water was washed over me. And before I could even distance myself, his hand was gripping mine under the table.

"Let go,"

"Since you started it, might as well finish it." He grinned.

I cursed inwardly. Hindi ko na sana ginawa 'yon kung alam kong hahantong sa ganito. But at some point in time, we'll be pretending in front of these people so why am I making a fuss?

"Fine," I blurted and intertwined my fingers to his as I dragged it on top of the table for the people to see.

"That's more like it," He grinned.

I forced a smile at him at hinigpitan ang hawak ko sa kamay niya. I heard him chuckle and we held hands for the rest of the celebration.

* * *

"Hindi ba nangangalay ang kamay mo?"

Napalingon ako sa nagsalita. It was Quinny. Muriel is tailing behind her.

"You and Exene are inseperable. Halos hindi niyo mabitiwan ang isa't isa." Muriel chimed in.

Crap. Was holding hands too much?

Hilaw akong napangiti.

"You said you have something to say to me?" Lisa tilted her head.

Right. But I don't have the courage to tell them right now. But I have to tell them. I owe them the truth.

"What is it? That all of this is fake?" Muriel whispered but loud enough for us to hear.

"What--"

"Oh, is that what you want to talk about?" Quinny asked.

Holy crap. How did they know?

"How--?"

Muriel waved a hand. "We already know. Since the very beginning."

"Right. Exene told us."

"Does the Queen and King know?"