Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up

I STAYED IN THE ROOFTOP for a few more minutes until I decided to go down. The hallways are dark but not too dark. It took some time for me to process what Davis revealed earlier.

Napatingin ako sa malaking orasan. It's almost one o'clock in the morning. I trudged my way down to my room but I stopped on my tracks when I saw who's in the dining. The doors of the hall were open kaya kitang kita ko kung may tao ba doon o wala.

Someone is inside the hall. Is it Davis? No. I stepped closer enough for me to see who is it.

"Exene?" I pressed on the switch. His head sprang up and looked at me. His hair disheveled, clothes crumpled and dark circles are visible under his eyes.

"What in the King's name happened to you?"

He gave me a sigh.

"Was it tough being the Duchess?"

"Not as tough as what you've been through, obviously. What happened?"

He groaned. "Consoling a heartbroken asshole. That's what happened."

I don't understand what he meant by that and I decided not to ask.

"Must be tough. You look like you aged ten years."

He narrowed his eyes on me. Is he pissed?

"I was only joking. No need to give me that look. I didn't know you'd be sensitive about your age-"

He abruptly stood up and walked towards me. He's now at arm's depth making me feel uncessarily uncomfortable.

"Were you crying?"

Shit. Are my eyes still swollen?

"The wind is strong amd cold at the rooftop. It keeps getting through my eyes."

He still has that judging look on his eyes.

"I saw Black came down from the rooftop too. Were you together?"

I bit my lip to prevent myself from tearing up again.

"Yes."

He sighed. "You were crying."

This time, it was a statement. Not a question.

"Did he tell you?" His eyes are full of concern and I can see how he cares about Black too.

I nodded. He sighed. "How much did he tell you?"

"He told me that his father killed his mother and two sisters. And that man is Apollo."

He let put a deep breath as if he's relieved about something.

"Life's been tough on him. I met him when I was sent to this manor under my uncle's care. He worked as a stable boy for my Uncle who was the Duke that time. We became friends. Me, the twins and Black. We did everything together from then until now."

"You did not stay in the Palace?"

He gave me a small smile. "It's past your sleeping time, wife."

I narrowed my eyes on him. "Don't treat me like a kid."

"But you're my baby, though." He laughed.

"Don't ever spout such ridiculous thing again."

"Oho! Four days I've been gone and you speak like a true Duchess now, eh? You learn fast. I can finally relax since you're here to replace me."

"I'll burn this house down."

His hearty laugh echoed throughout the dining hall and I didn't realize I was laughing too. He wiped his eyes as he finally settled down.