Chapter 1: Chasing West

THAT WAS ALMOST three weeks ago. Right now, I am in the port city of Moran.

Emerich Sardon is known as the ruthless lord of the Northeast Court. He is supposed to be the next in line High Lord of the court but apparently, his father, the current high, the lord must have realized that Lord Emerich wasn't capable. He is an asshole back to back. The most hated person in the capital. No wonder that even the high lord, his own father, doesn't want to give the title to him yet.

I don't know what made him ask my hand for marriage. I was just an ordinary healer but I do hear that he collects women.

The night after what happened, I decided to leave the place, the place I hold dear, my mother's hometown. I wrote a letter to everybody and wrote an especially nice letter to the Lord. I don't know if it was a wise choice but he deserves to hear what I think about him. Just because he has a title doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. After all, his father's title is the only thing that protects him.

"That would be twenty kuht, missus." Tinanggap ko isang maliit na tela where some medicinal plants are wrapped. I survived traveling from the Northeast to the West. I rode in wagons, traded with merchants and learned to live and survive by myself.

"Thank you—" I stopped when I saw a paper plastered on the wooden wall of the old shop. At mas lalong tumigil ang mundo ko nang makitang mukha ko ang nakalagay doon. And what's worse is that I am a wanted woman. A generous amount of money on my head.

I can hear my heart thundering. No. Will my life end like this? What does he want from me? For this to reach the west, this must mean posters with my face must be all over Sandovia. Does this mean I can't live here anymore? Considering the bounty on my head, anybody who spots me will immediately report it.

I held my cloak tighter and pulled the hood over my head to cover my eyes and my hair. No. I can't let it end here.

Agad akong tumakbo papalabas ng tindahan. I have to get out of here, quick.

I stormed to the inn where I stayed. Those posters have significantly scattered around Sandovia. Just what does that asshole want from me?

I grabbed the tiny bag I carried with me at agad nagtungo sa kung saan naroona ng may ari. Without any further statements, I gave him a small pouch of money. The longer I stay here, the more chance I'll be found. I don't have any choice but to leave this country. I never thought my life would turn upside down like this.

I pulled the cloak down my face. This is bad. The ship will travel after five hours so I still have to wait that long. Napagdesisyunan kong pumasok muna sa isang shop na naroon. The shop was quiet, which is what I prefer. I can't afford to mingle with the crowd right now.

A woman came to me and took my order. Before I came here, I cut my hair short. The woman in the poster has long hair but I should not let my guard down.

I pulled my cloak even more as the woman approached to give my order.

"Here's your order, Miss." The woman said. I did not dare raise my head to answer her. I just grabbed the drink and handed her the money.

I started to become anxious. It's almost night time. Places like this are quiet in the daytime but rowdy in the night time. I still have to wait for four more hours.

Napagdesisyunan kong lumabas doon. For someone on the run, it's not wise to stay at the same place for a long time. I was about to make turn nang may mabangga akong grupo ng kalalakihan. What's worse is that they're not those goody guys. These guys are the type of guys who did nothing but drink all day.

I am screwed.

One man grabbed me by the hand too tightly and pulled me closer to him that I smelled the alcohol and a lifetime worth of bad breath from his mouth.

"Putang—" he stopped his hand mid-air as he saw my face.

"Ikaw!" His eyes widened in shock and his grip loosened dahilan para makawala ako. Damn. They already know me. I ran as fast as I can and I can hear them shouting and running after me. Seems like I am not in luck today. It was a good thing I wore pants rather than those long skirts I have. 

I ran as fast as I could. I'm doomed. I still can't enter the ship. Agad akong lumiko sa eskinitang naroon which surprisingly led me to another part of the port. There are cargoes unloaded and to be loaded and I hid behind them, praying those guys won't find me here. Napatingin ako sa barkong naroon. I can't hide here for three hours.

The workers are busy counting the cargoes. I took a deep breath and stepped into the ship, hiding along with the boxes. I don't know where this ship will lead me pero bahala na. What's important is that I have to get out of here as fast as I can. I found a perfect hiding spot and settled there. I don't know where this ship will go but the farther, the better. I wrapped the cloak tightly around myself. This is the closest thing I had for  blanket. I'll just hope the people on this ship won't find me dahil kapag nagkataon, it would be worse. 

I did not expect my life to turn out like this. A simple rejection I made my life turn 360 degrees. I heave a sigh and rested my head on the wooden box. Tonight is cold I hope my cloak would be enough as my blanket. I wonder what's happening now back home. The life I've always wanted and achieved all disappeared in just a wink. I curled my knees and buried my face on the hollows of it. Where will I go now? 

I felt the ship moved moments ago. Maybe I'll die here or maybe the people on this ship will find me and kill me anyway. Or maybe I'll reach the destination alive but barely if I'm lucky. I don't even know where this ship would land. All I have to do now is be a quiet passenger, pray that nobody would think to go in this part of the ship and save the one and only bread I had with me. What luck.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras o minuto na ang nakalipas but judging from the look of the sky outside, mag gagabi na. I'm guessing it's already 6 o'clock in the afternoon. I look at the waves crashing the ship's body. It's going to be damn cold tonight. I wrapped the cloak tighter and watch as the beautiful orange hue of the sky turned into a deep blue filled with stars.

It's rather peaceful in the middle of the ocean. I just hope I won't stay here for long.

* * *