Chapter 11: Officially Branded

I HAVE NEVER laughed so hard in my life. Exene's face, however, is the opposite. His brows furrowed as he watched me. My laughter died.

"Wait, you're serious?" I gasped and stood up abruptly that I almost knocked the table.

"Wait a minute. As far as I can remember, you certainly told me I-" I pointed myself. "-am not your type."

"I did-"

"But you want me to be your wife."

"Need you to be my wife. There's a difference."

"Semantics." I rolled my eyes.

"Listen," his face twitched in pain when he stood up using the table for support. "I am the Duke. The people, even my parents wants me to marry so I can have proper hold of this place. I can't give up this place. Not even marriage can stop me."

"And you want to marry me-"

"It's not you I'm marrying."

My jaw dropped. I held up a hand. "Wait. I think we're not communicating properly. You said earlier you need me to be your wife. Tapos sasabihin mo ngayon hindi ako ang pakakasalan mo? Ano ba talaga?"

"Mother came here to deliver a news. The Princess of Grendall came. And she's to be my bride. But I refused the offer. I told Mother you and I are-" he made a hand gesture for 'together'.

"Kung ayaw mong isuko ang lugar na 'to bakit ayaw mong magpakasal sa kanya? "

"I've known that princess since we were kids. The last time we saw each other, we were six. And he set a guard's clothes on fire. I don't want that kind of person as my wife."

I sighed exasperatedly. Unbelievable. "Exene, you were kids! She was a kid! She's a grown up now. Surely, she doesn't set the guard's clothes on fire anymore."

"No, but she's much worse now."

"Find another wife then! Another princess from another place, perhaps."

He shook his head. "I already told Mother about you and I. And she's unbelievably ecstatic about it."

I let out a long breath. "And why me? I can't believe the Queen actually believed you. I mean, I-you said it yourself that I am not and will never be your type. I'm sure the Queen knows I am not your type too. I understand that. What I can't understand is...why me?"

"Why not you?" He said as he sat back on the bed.

"What?"

"Why not you? You're beautiful. Mother said it herself. And I think..." He trailed before he smirked. I cocked my head slightly, waiting him to say the next words. I can't believe I am actually anticipating what he's going to say next.

"I think she's right. You're beautiful, Liliana."

I blinked. For the first time, I am at loss of words. I've always come up with a wiser counteragument but somehow, this time, I can't. Heck, I've heard compliments about my face before, I am used to it but why on earth is my face heating up when he said it?

I cleared my throat.

"Give me one good reason why I should accept."

"I could give you three actually."

I crossed my arms and he went on.

"You can have a Duke for a husband, your salary will double, and this is all a prententious deed. We won't marry for real."

"You told the Queen you and me are-" I mimicked the gesture he made earlier. "What are we going to do if she finds out-if they all found out it's not real?"

"Mother can understand. And what she knows right now is that I am still pursuing you. We can make them believe we're still at the stage of getting to know each other, which is true. It won't be hard to pretend then. We won't be forced to do what...what couples do."

"I can't believe you're asking me to conspire with you in this crime."

His brows rose. "Crime?"

"Lying! Lying against the Queen is one thing. But lying against a whole Kingdom is another. I am not ready to get my head separated from my body, Exene."

He chuckled. He bloody chuckled!

"What are you laughing at?"

He shook his head. "Nothing."

I let out a sharp breath. "Okay. Suppose I say yes, the reasons you gave me are not really that appealing."

"Even the doubling your salary?"

"I have more than enough salary already. Doubling it doesn't matter."

"How about this? You get married to me, then Emerich Sardon won't get his hands to you then. He knows the consequences of taking someone else's wife. Especially a Duke's wife. In short, you give me your cooperation, I'll give you a lifetime protection. How's that sound?"

"If...what if I find the man I love while we're still at the middle of our act?"

"Then we'll call the deal off. You're free to love that man or marry him if you want to. You can still work here if you want to. I'll be the one to explain that to Mother. But let's hope it won't happen while we're still in the act. That would be difficult."

"What if it does happen? You'll be forced to marry the Princess."

"That would be another problem for another time. But then again, let's hope it won't happen while we're still in the act."

I sighed.

"You can take your time to think about it-"

"Yes."

"Yes. You can take your time-"

"I mean yes. I'll be your wife."

"Are you sure you won't think about it-"

"Let's get this done. But if ever your Mother finds out about it, do me a favor and tell her you threatened me to agree with you."

A low chuckle escaped his mouth. "Agreed."

"Agreed." I answered.

A defeaning silence then enveloped the whole room. I suddenly feel stupid for agreeing with this stupid arrangement.

I awkwardly jerked my thumb to the door behind me. "I...I have to go."

I was about to open the door when he called my name. I turned only to find out him grinning.

"When Father comes back, that's the time we announce you've already said yes and we're on to planning our marriage."

Kumunot ang noo ko saka ko siya hinarap ulit.

"Bakit ang bilis?"

"The sooner it starts the sooner it ends." He shrugged and reached for the glass of wine and took a sip.

"I suddenly want to meet this Princess you were talking about. I want to know how worse is she that you came to this extent just to avoid marrying her."

He just shrugged. I let out a breath.

"I am going back here tomorrow to change your bandages and bring you food."

"To take care of me, in short."

I shifted on my feet. "Yes. To take care of you. Do you expect the twins will? Or Black? After all, I am the healer of this mansion."

"And you are my girlfriend, soon to be wife. Of course, it's your duty to take care of your Duke, your boyfriend and soon to be husband, right?"

I felt my cheeks heat up. I clamped my mouth. "Good night, Exene."

He chuckled. I did not wait for his reply at agad akong lumabas sa kanyang kwarto. He's straightforward. And I don't think I am going to get used to it.

I combed my hair hastily and walked faster.

I just made a very dangerous deal with him and I am not sure what to make of it.

* * *

Vote and comment! :)