Chapter 33 : Home

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I stayed in the Palace's infirmary. And I certainly couldn't remember that I passed out. I looked at the bed beside me where Luca is. He's in stable condition now, thankfully. I looked at the clock and it says 6 o'clock in the evening. It's been three hours since we landed on the dock. And Exene is still not here. 

I got up from the bed and looked at Luca, bandaged on the chest. I started recalling the things that happened in the past hours and I remembered how Luca almost died. 

I walked to his bed and the door flung open revealing Ares and Muriel. Looking at the two of them together, it's creepy how they basically look very similar and have a very opposite personality. 

Muriel ran and hugged me tightly, whispering something like I did great. I looked at Ares and he knew immediately what I wanted to ask. 

* * *

"Apollo got away. Exene and two of his Generals are wounded. They're at the infirmary of the west wing—"

He did not get to finish his sentence when I ran as fast as I could. I didn't know where the infirmary of the west wing is!

How the hell did he got wounded? Is it bad? We just talked few hours ago and he was fine!

I ran as fast as I could. There were maids cleaning the pictures on the wall and looking at me as I dashed the hallway. I need to get to him. I didn't care about anything else, I just need to be there and see him for myself.

I got to the West wing but I didn't know where the infirmary is.

"Where is the infirmary?" I asked one if the maids who were cutting the flower stems. She stammered as she spoke and pointed me the direction. Agad akong tumakbo sa direksyong itinuro niya and slammed the door open.

I opened one door but it was empty. Bakit ba kasi walang mga sign ang mga pintuan dito?

I opened another one and saw some maids arranging plates and other cutleries. They stopped what they're doing and looked at me, shocked.

I went to another one and another. Why the hell is this West wing so big anyway?

Not here.

Opened another door. Not here, either.

I continued to curse myself as I continued to open one door after another.

I raced towards the hallway and reached the end kung saan may pintong hindi ko pa nabubuksan. I slammed it open and I could have sworn the people inside jumped. They were all looking at me. Healers, probably, all stopped from what they were doing and looked at me, confused. 

I gulped, decided not to mind them much, and roamed my eyes around. There are just about two patients inside. No sign of Exene. Where is he?

I marched inside and flipped the curtains one by one. Empty beds. 

"Where is Exene?" I asked the people inside but they just looked at me, confusion still on their faces. I need to see him. What if he's wounded? What if he's unconscious? 

"Where is he?" I asked but nobody answered. I checked the beds one by one but no sign of him. 

"Where the hell is my husband?" I said, louder this time. It became even quieter. And that's when I realized what I just said. The healers and the patients where all looking at me and then behind me, where the door is. 

I slowly faced the door and there he was, standing in the door, one arm bandaged, and judging from the look on his face, he must have heard me. 

"Exene.." 

Levi was smirking behind him and I want to be swallowed by the floor right this instant. 

He was holding a cup of water and looking at me wide-eyed but then in an instant, his insufferable grin showed up. He crossed his arms and leaned on the door frame. 

I blinked. 

"Looking for me?" 

I swear I heard one of the healers giggled behind me. 

"I..I was--"

"And I remember you saying you wanted to see me?"  

I grabbed his arms and dragged him out of the infirmary. 

I don't know what has gotten into me that I blurted it out loud. 

"Hey, slow down. I'm injured, you know?" 

I stopped and faced him. 

"Did you know how worried---" 

"Can I hug you?"

"What--" 

Before I knew it, I'm in his arms, his head buried on my neck. I felt his hot breath.

I stood there frozen as he hugged me tightly. 

"I'm glad you're alright," 

"Me too. I..I mean I'm glad you're alright, too." 

Kumalas siya sa yakap and grinned. "Feel better now." 

My eyebrows furrowed and looked at him from head to toe, checking for any other injuries.

"Are your injuries better now?" 

He moved his bandaged arm a little. "A bit, yeah." 

"Where's Apollo?" 

"He got away." He walked to the nearest seat and settled there. I settled on the one beside him. 

"Ares' and Pierce's men are on it, searching for him. But no major progress so far." 

"And the women? Where are they?" 

"They're at the hospital, getting treated. We managed to get the other 20 girls from Apollo's ship." 

"He said 200." 

"Apparently, he already sold out the others." 

I let out a sharp breath. Just how easy was it for him to sell human lives? Just how cruel is this man? And there's another question I have to ask. The man on the ship, who is he?

"Where is Davis?" 

"He went with Ares and Pierce. They need all the men they can get." 

"He's not injured?" 

He shook his head. He leaned back on his seat and closed his eyes. He must be tired and his injuries must have hurt. 

I stood up. "Come, I'm going to put some ointments on your injuries." 

He opened one eye. "Really?" 

"Yeah. Get up now before I change my mind." 

"Oi, you're my healer so it's your job to treat your Duke." 

I gave him a fake saccharine smile. "I'm a Duchess and I have duties to the people, not only to you."

I started to walk and he followed behind. 

"Woah. Talking like a Duchess now, eh?" 

"And you're a doctor, Your Grace. Why don't you treat yourself?" 

"Nothing beats your ointments." He grinned and I chuckled softly. 

* * * 

A/N: Sorry for the late update. Vote and comment!