Chapter 41 : Attack

EVERYTHING happened so fast. One moment there was an explosion, the next thing I knew, there are other men on the ship and we are heavily outnumbered. 

Exene opened one of the door in the ship and I saw Laurent and Maynard in there. 

"What's happening?" 

"Pirate attack," Exene answered. 

"Fuck," he paced and then faced Exene. "Let me out. You need every manpower you can get. I can help," 

Exene nodded and looked at me and then to Maynard who was in the corner. 

"Stay here," he kissed my forehead. "I'll be back," 

He was about to go out when I grabbed his arm. "Will you be okay?" I scanned his face to search for anything--for worry, for whatever I can find. But all I can see is determination, and the will to protect. 

"I promised you I would protect you, didn't I?" Hinaplos niya ang buhok ko and it was the most comforting thing ever. 

"I will come back to you, I promise." He gave me a quick kiss on the lips before he stormed out of the room, leaving me and Maynard. 

I paced the room. I am not even bothered by Maynard's presence. What I feel now against Maynard is the least of my concern. Pirates are attacking and there are just four of them fighting there. I stifled a sob. Crying won't do any good, either. I need to think of something, anything. 

"The Duke will die and so are the others," 

Napalingon ako kay Maynard who was in the corner, his leg bandaged.

"They're not ordinary pirates. They're seasoned killers. All their life, all they did was to kill. And there are a lot of them. They're here to get you." 

I rushed to the door and found that it's locked. I muttered a silent curse. 

"What are you going to do? March there? Do you even know how to hold a weapon?" 

"Shut up," I glared at him and he didn't even seem to be bothered by it. 

"You're the one they want. If you're here, they'll have to protect you." 

Dahan-dahan akong napabitaw sa pinto. "What are you suggesting?" 

"Get away from here. Then your beloved Duke won't have to fight them. You realize they are heavily outnumbered, right?" 

I hate to admit it but he's right. There will be reinforcements but when will they come? How long are they going to hold off the pirates before the reinforcements arrive? But I don't agree with his suggestion either. 

I cursed in frustration. I can't do anything. 

Napahawak ako sa pinto when another explosion shook the ground. The glass window near Maynard got shattered because of the impact and the ship swayed uncontrollably causing the vials on the shelf to fall to the ground. 

Gunshots echoed at the top and the sound of flesh tearing. I could also hear grunts and thuds of men falling down. 

I stepped away from the door when we heard someone pounding on it. 

"Open up!" An unfamiliar voice.

Napaatras ako, the broken pieces of the vials cluttered on my feet. The room smelled minty and oily and everything that was inside those vials. I winced when one piece managed to wound my feet but that's the least of my concerns. Maynard too, got up, grunting because of his wound. Nakaposas ang kamay nito sa bakal na naroon. 

"Listen, Liliana. There's a gun on the drawer and the key. Give it to me," seryosong saad nito habang nakatingin sa pintuan. The man outside, whoever it is, kept pounding and any minute now makakapasok na sila.