Chapter 14

Sage’s P.O.V.

Luke and I remained in that position for the good part of the hour, and probably wouldn’t have moved had Calum not asked who was hungry.  

Never the one to pass up food, Luke looked to me expectantly and I shrugged.  Not really caring as long as I could still be within range of him.  Cheesy, I know, but I already felt like were were long lost friends, even though we had only known each other for a few days at most.

I reluctantly sat up and hopped down to the bus floor, wobbling on my feet a bit.  It wasn’t an issue for Luke who simply stepped down with one of his lanky legs.  

I shook my head playfully at him and said, “Not fair.  I’m so short.”  which caused him to grin and  pat my head like a little dog.  

Joking around with him and pushing each other around a bit, we joined the rest of the band who were sitting at the large table eating sandwiches.  

I wasn’t really hungry so I politely shook my head and said, “I’m good, thanks though,” to Calum when he offered me one of the two sandwiches on the counter.

He pretended to look hurt and held his palm up to my face causing me to grin as he said, “Well, fine then.  More for me.”  

Luke bumped into my hip playfully with his hip, causing me to lightly slam into Calum’s bicep and slide over on the bench.  When I was successfully squished between Calum and Luke, my shoulders were hunched and pressed against my sides and I was struggling to free myself, which only resulted in me sliding up onto Luke’s lap.  

Sliding further, I scooted across his lap and landed on the floor next to the bench.  Straightening my sweater, I triumphantly looked behind me to see Luke looking down to his lap and blushing as Calum nudged him and wiggled his eyebrows.  Michael and Ashton grinned at each other and they all looked up and turned to me.

I was confused to say the least and looked at them in bewilderment to explain.  Ashton just cleared his throat and they all went back to eating.  Except Luke, who was picking at the bread and rolling it into little balls as he grinned down at his lap.  

I raised one eyebrow at him and shrugged.  I’d get him to tell me later.  Dusting off my hands and turning, I started humming cheerfully to myself without knowing it.  I went back to the sleeping areas for my bag.  After searching through it, I found what I was looking for: my phone which also served as my iPod and my schoolwork that my teacher Miss Allen had sent with me to finish while I was on the road.  

I was homeschooled because Leah was so busy all the time, she couldn’t take me to school.  Miss Allen was a NYC college student looking for extra money.  She was always extremely nice to me and always brought me flowers every week that she would visit.

I looked forwards to the times when Miss Allen came over to teach me because without her methods of making learning fun, I would have been so lost.  I don’t know what I’m going to do without her here.  

——————————————————————————————————————————