Chapter 42

Luke’s P.O.V.

We went back on the bus and continued on to the flat where we were stating at for the time being.  Everything felt right in the world again.  

I was telling her about my family and my dog, Molly, as I unlocked the door to the flat without flicking on the lights.  The guys and Sage went ahead of me as I tried to unstick the key from the lock.

“Damn.” I mumbled to myself as I finally got it through.  Cal flicked the switch on the lights and all four of us jumped back and screamed as people yelled, “SURPRISE!”

All of us were still screaming in terror as our family members looked on at us in confusion.  When we finally recognized them as people we knew—an people that weren’t going to kill us—we calmed down and started cracking up.  Partly from the surprise, partly from the relief that we weren’t all being kidnapped.  The five of us were hysterically laughing before we finally calmed down.

“Oh my god, mum! You scared us to death!” I yelled as I engulfed her in a tight hug.  I hadn’t seen her in months.

“Really?  I never would have guessed!” she laughed and I rolled my eyes , but grinned nonetheless.

“Yeah…never would have guessed…” my dad said as he walked by and wiggled a finger in his ear like he couldn’t hear.  

“What are you guys doing here?” Ash said with his eyes shining as his little brother Harry tugged on his hand, wanting to show him a new video game.  

“We are celebrating your homecoming and…your 200th show!” Ash’s mum exclaimed as she threw and arm around Ash who he blushed and looked down to his feet.   

Cal let out a loud laugh and tossed his arms around his sister and mum.  They turned and wrapped their arms around him, snuggling him as a contented smile made it’s way across his face.  

My mum planted a kiss on my forehead and turned to Sage, who was standing awkwardly to the side.  I remembered.  She didn’t do well meeting people for the first time.  She was shy.  I walked over to Sage and drew her in to my side.  I felt her instantly relax as she looked up at me gratefully and I grinned down at her and stuck my tongue out.

I glanced back to my mum whose eyes were flicking back and forth between Sage and I as she beamed and her eyes were sparkling mischievously.

My mum asked straight up to Sage and pulled her out of my arms as she engulfed her in a hug.  

“It’s so nice to finally meet you, Sage.” she said and the other moms gathered around Sage for a motherly group hug.  When they all pulled away, Sage was adorably flushed.  

I remembered how uncomfortable she gets when meeting new people and I rubbed my hand around her back and pulled her to my side.  She instantly relaxed and playfully poked me in the stomach.  I looked down at her and smiled, and she grinned at me as I leaned down to kiss her cheek.  

Calum ruined the moment and squeezed his face between us, pushing us apart.  “Well!  What’s for dinner?” he asked cheekily and slapped my butt.  I pushed him away and grinned at him as he stumbled away.

His mum and sister laughed at us and turned to sit at the table which was filled with foods that reminded us of childhood and home.  We were home.  

I slid my hand from her back down to her hand and interlaced our fingers together, tugging her over to the table and pulling out her chair.  I kissed the top of her head and sat in the seat next to her.  

I looked up when my dad cleared his throat and looked to my mom.  They gave each other knowing looks and smiled into their food.  My mum looked up at me slyly and I gave her a questioning look.  She just rolled her eyes and grinned back at me, mouthing at me, “You two are adorable.”  

I mouthed back a “Thanks” and she put a hand over her heart and mouthed again, “We love her!” 

I could feel the smile that only appeared when I was with Sage form on my face and I grabbed Sage’s hand, interlacing our fingers and resting our tangled fingers on her thigh.  I rubbed my thumb across the back of her hand and leaned forward to kiss her temple.

I felt like I was such a clingy boyfriend, but after not seeing her for months, I couldn’t help it.  This girl was my world.  She stumbled into our lives, but I’m so glad she did.  She changed the way I live.    

People always talk about finding the light in your life and finding what makes you happy.  I always though that was a load of bullshit until I met Sage.  When she came into my life, she changed everything.  She brought me out of the darkest days of my life. 

She was my light.