Chapter 43

Luke’s P.O.V.

—5 years later—

“Come on, Mike.  Just for one second.” I pleaded with him as he stood guard in front of the room where Dee and her bridesmaids were prepping her for the wedding.  

Mike crossed his arms and grinned at me knowingly.  “You’re not getting anywhere near this door, buddy.  Sorry, Lukey.  If it’s any consolation, I still lub you.”  

I rolled my eyes and grinned.  When I looked up at him, I tried my sad-eyes on him.  It always worked on Sage, but it might be different on a dude.  He didn’t budge and looked at me with an unamused expression shaking his head.  I scrunched my nose and walked away with a scowl muttering, “Fine. Asshole.”  under my breath.  

I was walking away from him when I was tackled from behind by Ash and Cal.  “Watch the hair guys!” I yelled at them playfully and they both punched my shoulders and grinned mischievously.  

Ash rolled his eyes and straightened his tie as he said, “Is Mikey letting you see her, yet?”

I scrunched my nose and shook my head, glaring playfully back at Mike who was shrugging his shoulders saying, “Bride’s orders.”

Cal popped his head up from his phone and yelled back, “What about best man’s orders?”

I opened my mouth to agree, but was cut off by Ashton lightly punching Cal in the arm, “Who says you’re the best man?  I thought I was?”  They both looked at me and I shrunk away sheepishly.  “You’re all the best man?”  

All three of them turned to me in a flash with stunned expressions and I started cracking up.  

We were interrupted by my mum rushing into the room and saying panicked, “Boys! Where have you been?  Never mind.  It’s time!” 

The three boys rushed off and I went to follow them, but was halted by my mum.  She smoothed out my suit and straightened my tie.  She gave me a final look over and her eyes misted a bit.  “Awww, mum.  Don’t be sad.  I’m not leaving or anything.”  I cooed as I brought her in for a hug, resting my chin on the top of her head. 

Producing a handkerchief from her purse, she dried her eyes quickly, but more tears formed, which she did not let touch her cheeks.  She laughed a bit and looked down to the mascara smeared handkerchief, “No, no, it’s not that.  Not at all.  I’m just so happy for you.  My baby is getting married to a wonderful woman and is gloriously happy.” She dried more tears and I brought her in for another hug.  

When she pulled away, she looked at me once more and cupped my face, planting a kiss on my cheek that probably left a lipstick stain.  She rubbed off the spot as I protested, “Mum!”  She just laughed and cupped my cheeks, looking me straight in the eye.  “I am so, so proud of you, Lucas.  And I will always love you.”

My throat started to close up and I could feel tears welling in my eyes now.  My mum’s eyes widened and she started dabbing at my eyes with the handkerchief as well.  “I love you, too, Mum.” I said and we shared on last hug.