Chapter 34

Sage’s P.O.V.

Chapter 37

I ran out of the room after I saw him kissing her.  The girl who threw the balloons at me.  How could he?  I thought he said he loved me.  I found a hiding spot between two walls that was dark and narrow.  Here, I leaned against the wall and slid down, crying tears over my first broken heart.  

I heard his footsteps and voice calling my name and I scooted further back in the dark and narrow space.  He blurred past me and I muffled my sobs for a second.  

He was drunk, I knew that for sure.  I could smell the alcohol on him the minute I walked into the room.  I recognized the smell because Elliot used to come home smelling the same way for a few months after our parents died.  

I stayed there for far longer than I should have.  I thought for sure that the bus was going to leave without me and I would have to find my own way home to New York.  

Luke had my phone. He took it from me and put it in his pocket after reading something on his phone.  He seemed disturbed by whatever he had read.  That was also when he started acting strange.  Maybe all of this had to do with the girl.  No.  The Luke I know would have told me.  We tell each other everything.  But why?

I heard footsteps heading back in the direction of the dressing room and I cowered back against the wall.  A flash of green hair brushed by.  Michael.  “Sage?  I know your here.  Where are you sweetie?” he whispered and was looking around as I peeked my head outside my hiding place.

I hastily brushed stray tears off my cheeks.  “Mikey?” I said hoarsely.  He whipped around his eyes fiery.  He simply held out his arms to me and I crashed into them.  He pulled me in close and rested his cheek on the top of my head.

“What happened, Dee?  You can tell me.” he whispered softly.  I nuzzled my face closer into his shirt and took a deep breath.  He was the closest thing I had to a brother besides Elliot. 

“I saw him with this girl and they looked like they were about to…to…” I choked and Mike cut me off.  “Did she have short blonde hair? Gray eyes?  Really bony?” he fired at me and I nodded yes to all of them.  

His hands clenched into fists from where they were on the middle of my back.  “That was Callie then.  She’s nothing but trouble.  He should have known better.” he fumed and looked like he wanted to hit something.  “HOW COULD HE DO THIS TO YOU?!?!” he growled and hugged me tighter.  He bent down and whispered in my ear, “You know you’re like a sister to me right?  I don’t have any other siblings, but you and the guys are my family.  Sometimes family does stupid things, but we love them anyways.  I want you to know that I love you…all of us do, and nothing will change that.”

I hugged him tighter and whispered a thank you into his shirt.

A blonde flash brushed by me harshly and before I knew it, Mike was on the ground with a bloody lip with Luke standing over him.  Mike got up quickly and went to stand protectively in front of me.