Chapter 36

Sage’s P.O.V.

“Elle, what’s going on?” I asked as soon as I saw him waiting in the terminal with his arms outstretched and a forced smile on his face.

He ignored my question.  “Trouble in paradise?  A little birdy named Shauna told me that you and that boy Luke were making goo-goo eyes at each other.”

His small, weak smile faded when he saw the purplish bruise/cut on my cheek.  His eyes widened in shock and anger flashed in them.  "Who did this to you?  Was it one of those crazy bitch fans?" he asked as he finished his inspection and pulled me in for a hug.

I shifted in his arms uncomfortably.  "Uhmm...not quite."

Elliot stiffened.  "Did Luke do this to you?" he started shaking in rage.  

I pulled away and waved it off fighting back tears.  I felt like Luke had betrayed me.  I always thought of him as the one person who would never hurt me and would always be by my side, but he had managed to prove me wrong.  

"I'm fine, it was an accident." I shook my head and took deep breaths to calm down.  Elliot nodded unconvinced and hooked his arm around mine, ushering me out the door.

"I'm going to kill that fucker Luke the next time I see him." he seethed. 

I ignored the twinge in my heart when his name was mentioned and shook my head.  “There’s nothing going on.”

“Fine. But you’re going to tell me exactly what happened sooner or later.” he shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

We jumped into his car, a small blue Volvo, which always smelled like cheap body spray and burning rubber, and drove along an unfamiliar road.

“Where are we going, Elle?” I asked and noticed how he shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

“I think it’s better if I’m not the one to explain.  Just bear with me.” he said and I nodded.  We didn’t speak for the rest of the trip.     

We drove to the hospital and the both of us got out.  I sensed a solemn wave pass over him and I felt myself being drawn into it.  He walked around to my side and took my hand tightly in his.  I think he needed my support more than he was giving me support.  I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze and I felt him relax infinitesimally.  

Whatever we were about to see was not going to be pleasant.

——————————————————————————————————————————-

“Leah?” I asked as I felt my throat closing up.  She was connected to a trail of wires and tubes.  Her skin was gray and papery and she didn’t have more than a wisp of hair on her head. She was as frail as a skeleton and her skin hung loosely on her bones.  The sight of her made me want to stop breathing.  I could hardly recognize her as the warm, lively, loving person of my best childhood memories.