Chapter 22

Luke’s P.O.V.

At the station, Ash, Cal, Mike, and I were grabbed into handshakes by the friendly interviewer, but Sage was pulled into a long hug, her face mashed into his chest.

I frowned at that, and put my arm around her reassuringly when she was finally released, blushing and hurrying back to the comfort of the group.

Seeing that he had thoroughly shocked Sage, he looked at her apologetically, holding out his hands palms up in a show of innocence. “Sorry, honey.  I’m a hugger.”

Looking much more relieved and comfortable, she waved his apology off saying, “Totally fine. Everyone needs a hug anyways.” I looked at her and grinned,seeing that the man was grinning at her as well.  I loved how she didn’t make the guy feel embarrassed at all.

Still grinning at Sage, the man was shook out of his daze when I cleared my throat and looked back to the rest of us saying, “I’m Tyler by the way.  I’ll be interviewing you guys this morning.  Damn it’s fucking early.”  The five of us laughed at him as he opened his mouth into a huge yawn.  With us following suit behind him.  It is way too fucking early.  The morning buzz from being woken up in Sage’s fun way was wearing off.

Should’ve stopped by a Starbucks.

Looking at each of us individually, Tyler said, “I’m going to be interviewing the four of you,” pointing at me, Cal, Mike, and Ash, then pointed at Sage last, “then, I’m interviewing you separately.  After that, we’re going to do a video interview together, then you’re off to your next one. Sound good?”  We all nodded, we’ve had much worse to have to go through, but Sage’s eyes were wide as she looked up at me.  I shook my head reassuringly and got a sense of pride in myself when her features immediately relaxed and her shoulders lowered.

She trusted me so wholeheartedly that she took my word for it when I said that it was okay and relaxed.  I felt her press more into my side and my arm tightened around her, rubbing my hand up and down her sweater covered arm.

I noticed that she almost always wore baggy clothes and long-sleeves unless it was hot outside.  Almost like she was self-conscious about herself.  That thought baffled me.  She looked perfect to me…beautiful even.  Crap.  I’m not supposed to be thinking like this yet.

Her grip tightened on the back of my shirt for a second when someone tapped on her shoulder.  Calming her breathing down when she saw that it was just an assistant trying to lead her out of the sound booth, so Tyler could start the interview. 

I turned to watch her being led out of the door to an a row of chairs outside the glass doors, where I could still easily see her.  Sitting down, she looked back up to me and grinned as she spotted something that caught her eye.  Rushing down to a cabinet, she was out of my sight for a second before she reappeared holding a bag of gummy worms.

I opened my mouth at her mouthing “Not fair” when she waved the bag at me and sat back down teasingly.  I frowned and shook my head at her in mock anger, turning back around to Tyler who was doing the introduction.