Chapter 41

Luke’s P.O.V.

I glanced up from the picture I was holding in my hand when Michael came through the door, but just stood still staring straight at me in the doorway.

The picture was the one that Ash took that day on the bus.  Before all of this craziness started.  When it was just her and I in the world.  Her head was in my lap and I was stroking her hair looking at her lazily.  She couldn’t see it.  She never could see it.  How much I adored her.  It was too late now.  I was going to have to face the fact that I lost her forever.

“Luke?  Luke.  Lucas!”  Mike, Ash, and Cal were calling me.  It seemed like they were doing that for a while.  I snapped out of my depression and looked back at them.  My spirit felt dead and I breathed out a sigh as I looked up at them boredly.  Everything looked washed out and colorless without her here.  She showed me a different way to look at life.  

I’ve lived without her before, but I was 100% positive that I wouldn’t be able to do it again.  I was hopelessly lost.

Mike had an excited look in his eyes like he had a secret, but Cal and Ash looked confused as they looked between Mike and the door, trying to see around him.  

“What?” I asked and sunk back into the pillows with a deep sigh.  

“I made a promise to you.  Remember?”  Mike asked me and started moving closer to me.  When he was at the couch, he crouched down to meet my eyes which were glued to the floor.  I reluctantly met his gaze and nodded.  Hs eyes were sparkling.  

“Well, I don’t break my promises.  Ever.  You know that.” he replied.

I sighed in exasperation.  “What’s your point, Mike?”  I was getting impatient lately.

“There’s something I need to show you.  Come with me.” he said and held out his hand to help me up.  I took it and he easily hoisted my lifeless body up off the couch and propelled me to the door.

I braced myself on the doorframe and stopped myself.  What was going on?  “Go!” Mike yelled as he pushed me out the door which Ash thankfully opened or else I would have face-planted.

Ash and Cal managed to escape out the door before Mike and I to see what was making Mike act out like this.  

The three of us stopped dead in our tracks.

I never though that I would ever see her again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

“Sage?!  We missed you so much!”

“Sagey!!  Where have you been missy?  We have been worried sick.”

Cal and Ash both rushed up to hug her and give her kisses, but I was rooted to the spot.  I couldn’t take my eyes off her, yet I couldn’t make a move to be closer to her even though my entire soul was screaming at me to do it.