Chapter 26- Chat with Edona

Thief strolled through the streets of the small town with a certain stiffness to her stride. She glanced every so often to her side only to end up staring at Kami on one side and Edona on the other, walking only a few steps behind. She felt her chest tighten every time she looked back but couldn't help doing so every few seconds.

Kami was taken this High Warrior business very seriously and had silently taken the backseat allowing Thief to becoming the new leader of this small group. She couldn't help but feel incredibly uncomfortable leading two Deities around as the leader. This was definitely not how she had expected this to go down when she had mentioned the inhabitants believed her to be a High Warrior.

They arrived at a small house near the end of the town where a couple of faces looked up and immediately gleamed at the sight of Thief.

"I-it's the Vegter B'eter. How can we help you?"

The one that spoke was a young boy probably a bit younger looking than them. He wore small worn tunic and trousers. His dark red gleaming eyes looked back and forth between Thief and the other two smaller figures who had quickly moved up at her apperance. One was a small girl and the other a much smaller little boy who looked like he could barely walk around on his own. They both seemed nervous and fascinated at seeing Thief which only made her feel a bit extra uncomfortable.

"Y-yeah I was told that if we needed a place to sleep, that you would be able to provide beds for at least tonight."

"Yes! Yes, please make your way in, it's small but I'm sure you'll get a good night's rest in there. Ummm, unfortunately we only have one more space..." He said glancing over at Kami and Edona.

Thief looked back in a panic but Kami simply shook his head and spoke in a deep serious voice.

"The Vegter B'eter takes preference of course. We will sleep on the ground in the outskirts of this small town. Please, your most dignifying lady, rest for tonight and we shall see you bright and early tomorrow."

Kami gave a gentle bow directed at Thief which only made her panic even more. She could feel the blood rushing to her head and the unbearable feeling of this situation clawing its way through her back.

"Y-y-y-y-you d-d-d-don't have to b-b-bow."

Kami shook once more only to dramatically raise his head into the air and firmly grasped Thief's shoulder. His eyes locked with her own in a moment of silence. They brimmed with a passion of determination and emotion that could only be described as a strong admiration towards Thief.

"Please, it's the least we can do, had it not been for you, we would all be dead. You killed that monster when Edona and I could not and for that we owe you. The first time we met I promised to follow you and dedicate my very life to your cause, if I could not sleep one night in the comfort of a bed, then perhaps I am not worthy of being your Ana'k Jong."

Thief mouth fell wide open but no sound came out from it. The situation was borderline embarrassing at this point and only made her wish Kami had just killed the monster himself as he usually does. She let out a small yelp as he pulled her in closer only to embrace her in between his arms and passionately whisper.

"Thank you...for everything High Warrior."

He released her leaving her in a daze as he walked towards Edona and waved at the young dark elf who stood still, frozen at the dramatic scene playing out in front of him.

"Thank you for such hospitality, we will find a place to stay the night elsewhere."

"Wait!" was all Thief could manage to say.