Chapter 28- Conversation Time

Sayu  sat next to a small fire a few yards away from a stream of water. Over  the fire, a large, bowl-like fruit substance was being held high over  the flames. It had been carved out and carefully cleaned leaving only  the hard exterior and a large enough opening on the side in order to  collect water. Making the small fire was an easy task, just collect a  few pieces of wood around the jungle and cast a small fire spell on it,  simple. She had been careful to set the container at such a distance  where it wouldn't catch on fire but would receive enough of the heat to  only make the water inside boil over the course of a few minutes.

"So why the hell are you heating up the water?" Hiromichi asked curiously observing the dangling self-made fruit container.

"A form of purification. Water from streams in the wild could contain parasites or unwanted bacteria that could be harmful."

"You mean like, small little monster bastards we can't see, you get any experience for killing those?"

Sayu frowned at the container and thought about it for a second.

"I  don't believe that's how that works. However, this should make the  water drinkable, if we don't find somewhere safe in a few more hours of  moving we should probably start thinking of making a shelter. We should  follow the stream downhill from here it'll be easier than moving up and  we're more likely to find something that way. It might take a few days  perhaps so we can make a small tent out of tree branches and some of the  larger leaves close to the water-"

Sayu  continued with her lecture as Hiromichi stared with an idiotic  expression. He was hardly getting any of what she was saying but he  figured if she was talking this much, she probably knew what was to do.  In truth, he had mostly survived such scenarios with the last bit of  breath possible so perhaps she would make sure they come out of this in  much better condition.

"-did you understand?"

"Hu-huh? Ye-yeah  I got all that shit don't worry about me, I'm feeling pretty thirsty,  that water done yet? Never thought cooking water would be something I  would have to wait for."

Sayu frowned once again and answered.

"You  can have it all in just a bit more, you should be grateful I'm worried  enough to at least do such a thing, although I can understand your lack  of understanding of my gesture due to your more gullible nature."

Again, Hiromichi stared at her with a dumb look in his face, incapable of fully grasping everything she said immediately. 

"I'm not sure what you're trying to get at but it sounds like you're trying to make nice, I'll take that shit any day!"

They grew quiet for what felt like an eternity.  Hiromichi spent his time glancing around for any signs of monster or  beasts. He still had the thought of that large creature showing up out  of nowhere and suddenly attacking them once more but all he could hear  was the sound of the rustling trees and the gushing noise of the water  flowing down the path. He stared at Sayu a few times who was preoccupied with her setup before he broke the silence.

"Can I ask you something Sayu?"

"Huh?"

"Can I ask you something? I think the question was pretty clear."

"...I suppose you may."

"What's the deal with you and Kami? Like, I kinda  get what's going on there, he's a God and shit and you're like, his  creation or something, and then his sister is also...just randomly here,  and shit's just... a bit crazy, what the hell is going on?"

Sayu  glanced at his face which seemed sincerely confused. This was a  somewhat strange from him considering for the few months she had got to  know him, he showed very little signs of caring about anything. From  being told that Kami was a God to the idea of multiple timelines  existing, to unbelievable feats done by Kami, in his perspective, he had hardly ever showed any signs of curiosity about them.  Usually he would just fling his arms upwards and walk away with little  interesting, cursing out any information tossed at him about something  he didn't understand. For the first time, he genuinely looked at her  with great curiosity.