Chapter 52- The Plains of Fallen Heroes

The sounds of clashing metal and men screaming could be heard echoing through the battlefield. Thousands of soldiers, held their ground as each side pushed tirelessly against the other. Magic could be seen being thrown back and forth between these men as the attacks landed causing a huge uproar of pain and disdain to those around. The land that once had been nothing but a field of greens and peace was no more. In its stead, the red tint of blood coated the ground and with it, the corpses of those who had fallen beneath the might of steel from their opponent. The sky reflected this day of death as it gloomed with an intense dark gaze back down at the battlefield.

In the distance, overseeing the situation, King Mellius and his closest companions found themselves in a tent. Although a safe distance, the tones of the slowly dying send a shiver down their spine. His guards simply gazed between the King himself, who stood stoic in front of a large map displaying the war zone, and the opening of the tent. It was too little a defense between them and certain death which was the reason why they felt irrationally fearful.

King Mellius made no sound as his eyes wandered back and forth, looking for any strategy that could help him outbalance the current situation.

"Y-your Majesty, our men are falling faster by the second, t-this overwhelming army that the Elves have is beyond the comprehension of men, no matter how much our attacks hit, they never go down, perhaps it would be best if we were to-"

"I did not come this far simply to give ley way to the Elves. There must be a way that we can at least hold them back from pushing any further. If we retreat here..."

The King frowned angrily. This was potentially the downfall of this one-sided war. The Plains of Fallen Heroes was essentially an opening to all parts of the Ducuria Kingdom. If they were to lose here, and allow the Elven army to advance further, they could attack them from any point. Having to fight a multiple front war was less than ideal for them considering the already overwhelming power this army was displaying. Stopping them here was the only thing that could prevent that. Even so, the Elves had already invaded at least one-third of the Kingdom. At best they could defend with their lives until they tire out or hopefully retreat. However, the King was not so hopeful on this plan and could only glance at the map, hoping the answer was somewhere there.

King Mellius General Tactician, Orfus Ushvulgan stepped up.

"Your Majesty, I believe what the scared noble is trying to say is that we are being cornered, and losing anymore men in this hopeless case will only serve to speed up our demise."

"I'm surprised you don't see the consequences of us leaving this place Orfus, you are usually more perceptive."

"My King, I know of the consequences, however, there are other options we might be able to take if we retreat now. Perhaps asking one of the neighboring nations for help, or-"

"Bah! You expect that they would help?"

The General grew quiet before shaking his head and speaking up.

"This is all that God's fault...if he-"

"Do not dare speak ill of him, he has helped us much more than any other God or Hero before him. I cannot allow you to defile his name with such petty reasoning."

"My apologies, my king."

Orfus made a slight bow before stepping back.

King Mellius knew where he was going with this. Since Kami disappeared over a week ago along with his companions, the Fay Sovereignty had announced that the Ducuria Kingdom was no longer a neutral ally of theirs. Their announcement had been received by the other nations who wished no quarrels with the Fairies. This would mean that asking any other nation for help could be seen as an act of hostility towards the Fay Sovereignty if the nation so chose to grant them assitance in this war. The nation who assist the Ducuria Kingdom would have to be wise and fully aware that they would be making a potential enemy of the Fairies, and no smart nation would want to do this. Their one leverage over them, Kami, was nowhere to be seen, meaning even if they wanted to help, there was nothing they could wave around that could benefit the other nation. It also didn't help that somehow the Fay's princess had disappeared alongside them, meaning the Fay's where more than ready to jump aboard any conflict that could set them up against the Ducuria Kingdom. Fighting the Elves and Fairies at the same time would lead to the destruction of their Kingdom. The only reason why they hesitated to attack now, was because they still believed Kami could intervene. However, it seemed the Elves didn't hold the same fear as the Fairies.

"What of the Hero of Tyr, Alruin, and the little mage girl he has taken under his care...Himari was it?"

"They are currently heading this way your majesty but I'm afraid at this rate they'll arrive days late."

Mellius only groaned as he felt his options running out. How he wished Kami had not vanished at this moment. It was almost all too perfect for the Elves. As soon as he had disappeared, they had begun invading and effortlessly moved past their border. Although they had more men, the Elves where superior in every way. Stronger, faster and somehow, unkillable. It didn't take too long to notice who the victor of this war would be if it dragged on like this.

"B-by the God's what's the meaning of this?!"

A voice snapped Mellius out of his thoughts as he heard a large thunderous sound echoing through the sky. The sound of fighting mean and magic being flung back and forth stopped while this new unknown source of noise rang through the land.

"Your Majesty, please remain in the tent whil-"

Mellius walked out before the guards even finished his sentence. The air outside was still cold, but the scenry infront of him was completely different. The once dark sky was now glowing in a blinding display of white and gold. The line shone down on the thousands of men who only starred back at the heavens above them.

It took Mellius a few seconds to adjust his eyes to the light as his eyes wandered around the sky. It wasn't long before he noticed a figure, floating in the middle of the sky, far above the battlefield. He laughed as he recognized the clothing of the being.

The voice of the figure echoed loudly throughout the war zone. It cracked like thunder in the middle of a heavy storm and almost brought Mellius to the ground.

"On your knees undead creatures. The Domain of Death is no longer Shi's but my own. I am your King now."

Mellius let out a gasp as instantaneously thousands of figures across the land instantly let go of their weapons, and dropped to their knees. Even some of the corpses around the area lifted their undead sights to the sky, and managed to get up only to succumb to the same effect.

Kami glanced at them; his gaze nearly empty as he raised his hand.

"Accept the true hand of Death, and only then shall Life be given to you."

The sky cracked once more as a loud noise filled the air.

Mellius fell to the ground, covering his ears from the nearly inhumane noise that erupted forth.

The sky itself twisted, as the light that gleamed above them suddenly erupted forth, and fell down onto land.

It was a display like no other, as everything in sight was instantly covered in a blazing light that crashed onto every men on the field. When it hit the ground a large booming noise that nearly made Mellius ears bleed from how loud it was resonated across the plains. Even though the large-scale attack was controlled, the effects it caused where not. The winds picked up, gracing everything from its path, destroying anything it touched and leaving no men alive. The ground beneath them quaked, and a large eruption of hot fiery lava burst forth from below. The effects spread, like a virus upon the land, infecting it for miles and miles from where it originated in only a matter of seconds.

Perhaps because of the overwhelming effect, and how easily it seemed he would die in response to what Kami had just done, King Mellius found himself surprised as to how none of it affected him. The sound had been the most threatening thing to him, but he easily found himself surviving this, as though the attacks we're not meant to harm him.

His eyes wandered through the battlefield that was no longer visible due to the light above him drowning everything in sight, and back to Kami, whose mighty God-like figure floated as though passing judgment on the smaller creatures' underneath him.

Mellius swallowed his saliva and for the first time it came to his mind, that Kami wasn't a Hero first, he was a God, who would pass his judgement on them, however he saw fit.

It wasn't over though, what he heard next only left him more speechless and feeling even more smaller than what he already was.

"Mass Resurrection."