Chapter 2

He looked up as he saw a girl looking down at him. She was kind of dusky and was wearing a half saree. The first thing he noticed was her eyes that made him stare at her without a blink.

"Sorry." She mouthed as he suddenly smiled at the girl.

"Anjali." Manohar screamed as she ran downstairs.

"I'm so sorry. Divya enkida intha bucket thanniya keel drop panna sonna so athu thaan naa mela irunde uthiden. Sorrynga." She said as she looked at Adhi with pleading eyes. (Divya told me to pour the water outside and that's why I was pouring it and he came in the way.)

Adhi didn't understand a word she was saying. He was staring into her eyes and knew it was an accident. Accidents do happen.

"Mela irundhu yaarachum drop pannuvaanga? Keela thanni uthanumna keela vanthu uthanum. Arivu iruka unakku?vanthu seruthinga...en uyira vaangirathuke....enpa thambi...Adhi...you ok?" He started shouting at her as she tried to hold back her tears. (Why would you pour it from here? Do you have any sense? There idiots... they come to kill me alive)

"Hey..hey..no need to shout...it was an accident." Adhi said as his mom smiled.

"Ivan ipidilaam nadanthikirathe illaye....ellam en marumaga vantha neram." His mom cupped Anjali's cheeks. (He doesn't  behave like this with anyone else. It's all because of my neice)

"Sorry athai...naa venumnu...unga paiyan mela dropp pannala." She said as his mom smiled. (Sorry Aunty... I didn't do it on purpose)

"Tell me where the restroom is, you people...."Adhi said impatiently as Manohar showed him to the bathroom.

"What the hell? This isn't even a bit clean." He said as he turned on the water feeling disgusted.

"Ey... Anjali." Mano called.

"Sithappa?" She asked.

"Ennadi...unga atha vanthidaanganu overa scene podriya? Oru weekla ava ponathuku apram marupadiyum nee velakari thaan." He said. (Don't get too comfortable.When your aunt leaves in a week, you're our housemaid again.)

"Oh." She said,

"Ipo poyi divya roomla thoongu....avanga ponathuku aprom marupadiyum kitchenla poyi thoonganum..." He said. (Go sleep in Divya's room for now. After they leave, you are returning back to the kitchen to sleep)

"Saringa sithapa." She said as Adhi came toward Manohar.

"Do you people not have good running water? Like how the hell do I shower?" He asked.

"This is india....not your America so you'd need to learn to adjust." Anjali said as he looked at her surprised.

"Ennadi sonna avan kida?" Manohar asked, getting angry at her. (what did you tell him?)

"Ithu india america illanu sonnen." She said, (I said this isn't america)

"So what? You know what? I'm gonna go live in a hotel. At Least they might have running water." He said.

"Go ahead." She said,

"Hey....you talk too much....unlike uncle over here....tell him to stop trying to even talk in english...it sounds like shit." He said as Anjali laughed.

"Ennadi?" Mano asked. (What?)

"Unga english romma bada irukam....english pesavenamnu solluraru." She said as she left.  (He said your english is bad and told you not to speak it.)

"Why? My english bad?" He asked.

"Ya horrifying." Adhi said as he left.

"Horrifying? appudina enna" Manohar went to anjali. (what does that mean?

"Apidina roma bad.... Illathu romba scarya inu artham." She said,

"Oh." He said.

"Yethuku kedinga?" She asked. (Why'd you ask?)

"Un velaya paaru..." He shouted as he went away. (Go do your job)

"Hey Anjali" Adhi said as he walked to where she was studying something.

"What ya doing?" He asked.

"Just...studying... I have an exam coming up." She said,

"Don't you go to college?" He asked.

"Ya....but I work and pay for it." She said,

"Oh..great...you seem to be independent." He said as another girl walked by. She was wearing a short sleeveless dress in an attempt to seduce him.

"Who is she?" He asked.

"I am Divya...." She said as she hugged him as he didn't hug her back and just pushed her away.

He looked at the girl who looked like a total slut to him and then looked over at Anjali who was wearing Indian clothing covering her whole body. He started noticing the difference between the two girls and liked Anjali's nature.

"What are you wearing?" He asked Anjali.

"It's called a salwar."she said.

"And this is a sleeveless dress." Divya said, trying to show off.

"Bro...i have seen many of those but never have i seen someone wearing this indian clothes. It looks pretty. Any guy would fall for you in this outfit." He said.

"What about me? Do I not look sexy?" Divya.asked.

"I've seen many girls wearing short dresses. There is nothing unique about it. At Least in my opinion." He said.

"Irudi...unnaku iruku." Divya mouthed to Anjali as Adhi wasn't looking. (Just wait, you're gonna pay for this.)

"I...need to go." Anjali said as she tried to leave as he pulled her hands as his mom came in.

"Adhi...this is not our culture. You don't hold a girl's hands unless you are married to her." She said.

"Oh... I apologize... Anjali...i didn't know." He said.

"So... you like her?" His mom asked as Anjali gasped.

"Mom...she is my cousin...how the hell can I like her? That's just wrong." He said.

"It's not wrong in Tamil nadu. Matter of fact, we marry the girl to her cousin." His mom said as Anjali left due to embarrassment.

"Wow...what a....bizarre culture....but in that case...ok." He said.

"Ok what?" His mom asked.

"Mom....She's kinda chill and ...cute.. I guess. But that doesn't mean anything" He said as she smiled and Divya stomped away in anger.