six

As soon as Chaeyoung got to work she buzzed Jisoo's phone and asked her to come to her office. Jisoo strode through the door with her usual air of confidence but slowed immediately when she saw Chaeyoung.

"You ok, Rosie?" Jisoo asked as she walked over to the couch and motioned for Chaeyoung to join her, "Come over here."

Chaeyoung got up and walked over to the sofa and plopped down. Jisoo noticed that Chaeyoung was wearing pants and a blouse. She looked very professional but not at all like she usually dressed for work. She always wore skirts and very high heels and looked like the quintessential picture of feminine power. Today she could have been any one of the hundreds of employees at YG.

"I had this dinner with Lee Soo Man last night," Chaeyoung started, "I met him and a couple of his employees at Gureum. He was a complete jerk. He made Lisa come out to the table and then he acted like a misogynistic asshole to her."

"He doesn't act like a misogynistic asshole," Jisoo said, "he is one."

"I know," Chaeyoung said, "the whole meal he was loud and obnoxious and rude. He kept insulting the food. He called Lisa 'little lady' for god's sake. It was awful."

"What did she do?" Jisoo asked.

"She just politely served our table," Chaeyoung said, "she even sent me a big plate of veggies after Soo Man insisted I wanted steak."

"You let him order your food?" Jisoo asked.

"He just kept ordering for the whole table," Chaeyoung said. Jisoo looked at her with a confused expression.

"So what did you do during this whole debacle?" Jisoo asked.

"I just sat there, I didn't do anything," Chaeyoung said, "People were starting to look at our table because he was so loud. Once we were done with the entrees I just made a quick exit."

"You just let him treat you and Lisa like second class citizens and you left," Jisoo said calmly and softly.

Chaeyoung nodded her head. Jisoo got up and walked to the door and spoke to Joy for a moment.

"What was that about?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I wanted to see if you had any meetings any time soon," Jisoo said, "You don't, so I told Joy not to interrupt us."

Chaeyoung took a deep breath. She wondered if she should have just let last night go and not brought Jisoo into it. She steeled herself for whatever was going to come next. Jisoo just sat for a few moments before she began.

"Chaeyoung, you know I love you, more than I love anyone in the world," Jisoo started.

"But?" Chaeyoung interrupted.

"But, seriously, what the fuck?" Jisoo said, "Why would you let that man treat you and treat Lisa that way?"

"I don't know," Chaeyoung said, frustrated, "I just get nervous when I think people are looking at me and judging me. Jisoo, it's really just hard when the whole world thinks you're this awful person."

Jisoo looked like she was ready to explode.

"Chaeyoung, I know you care about what the whole world thinks," Jisoo said, "and I know you still sometimes blame yourself for the shit that your sister did. But it is not ok to let people treat you like crap."

Chaeyoung took a deep breath.

"You're right, Jisoo," Chaeyoung said, "I still sit in here sometimes and think about Alice. How did I miss it? I talked to her every single day. Sometimes, I still wonder if I could have noticed something. People died, Jisoo."