thirty

The four women pulled up to their parents' house at 6:30 on Christmas Eve. They were all chatting happily and amazed they had been able to get their stuff together and arrive on time. Everyone was smiling and pulling bags out of the car as Minzy and Daesung came out to meet them. Hugs were exchanged all around and they headed inside. They had already decided on the way over to keep the same rooms as last time. Jennie and Jisoo were surprised that Chaeyoung and Lisa volunteered to keep the same room but they were happy to not ask any questions. They all lugged their stuff upstairs and brought down some gifts to put under the tree.

"The lasagna is in the oven and the bread is in the breadmaker," Minzy called out, "All we have to do is make the salad and chop and grill the veggies."

Jennie, Chaeyoung and Jisoo all started working on the salad and the vegetables.

"I gotta do something," Lisa said walking toward the back door, "I'll be back in a minute." Lisa was carrying a big bag toward the back.

"Where are you going?" Minzy asked.

"The barn," Lisa shouted as she went out the door, "I'll be right back."

Minzy looked at Jennie questioningly.

"I have no idea what she is doing, Mom," Jennie said, "But you got left with the amateurs."

"I think we can handle salad and veggies," Jisoo said, "Between the three of us we can chop as fast as one Lisa."

Sure enough by the time Lisa came back in and washed her hands they were finished.

"That worked out conveniently for you," Jennie said teasingly and Lisa bumped her playfully with her hip.

"I'll help man the grill," Lisa said, "and you can just watch and drink wine."

"Not a bad deal after all," Jennie said.

Quickly the food was all prepared and they sat for dinner. Jisoo and Chaeyoung hesitated while everyone else just dug in and started eating.

"You guys going to eat?" Lisa asked.

"I wasn't sure if there was something we were supposed to do before starting," Chaeyoung said.

"We just eat like normal people most of the time," Daesung said laughing.

They ate and cleaned up the kitchen then did a little preparation for Christmas lunch. The meal wasn't quite as involved as Thanksgiving so there wasn't a lot to do. There was a standing rib roast that would be cooked on Christmas Day. Lisa prepared the vegetables for the side dishes quickly and the others helped with the potatoes. BamBam was bringing dessert. They finished and cleaned up and made their way into the den. Daesung lit a fire while Minzy pulled four gifts out from under the tree. Chaeyoung just marveled at how happy the couple looked. She sat on the couch and felt a snuggle behind her. She assumed it would be Lisa but turned to find that it was Jisoo. She looked at Jisoo and pulled her in for a tight hug. She knew that Jisoo was feeling the same warmth of family that she was. Sharing it together made it all the better. It only lasted a few seconds before Jennie came over and made a big deal of squeezing between them, making everyone laugh heartily. Chaeyoung finally gave in to Jennie and got up and moved over to sit next to Lisa on the other couch.

"So, this is the official start of our Christmas," Minzy said giddily, "Christmas Eve presents for our girls!"

Jennie and Lisa rolled their eyes playfully and took their gifts. Jisoo and Chaeyoung both accepted their gifts with the fullest of hearts.

"Everyone has to open at the same time," Daesung said.

They all looked at each other and ripped off the paper. Jennie balled up her paper and tossed it at Lisa. Lisa just shook her head and laughed. They all looked at each other and opened their boxes together. Each one of them had a soft, thick wool scarf. Jennie's was a dark brown shade. Jisoo's was a festive red. Lisa's was a bright blue and Chaeyoung's was a baby pink that she seemed to love a lot these days.