sixteen

Lisa let go of Chaeyoung's hand and walked over to Jennie's bedside in the hospital room.  She took Jennie's hand in hers and leaned over and gently kissed her on the forehead.

"How are you feeling?" Lisa asked.

"Honestly," Jennie said, "not so great.  My leg hurts like hell but the pain meds make me nauseous and woozy.  The good news is that you two made my day a little brighter."

"Yeah, we can talk about that later," Lisa said to Jennie.

"I gotta say," Jisoo said to Chaeyoung, "I didn't think I would ever want to leave Jennie's side for a moment again but I can't wait to get a little time to catch up with you."

"Yeah, remember tomorrow morning is Sunday – it's sister time," Jisoo said, "No getting out of it just because I've been shot."

"Ok, enough you two," Chaeyoung said, "the short story is that Lisa and I have moved our relationship forward.  We haven't even had time to discuss it amongst ourselves so you two just relax."

Lisa walked over and pulled Chaeyoung to her side and kissed her on the cheek.  The door to the room opened and Minzy and Daesung walked in with a bag of pastries for everyone.

"Good morning, everyone," Minzy said as she moved to each woman and gave them hugs.  "How's my girl?"

"I'm ok," Jennie said smiling, "Lisa's even better."  Jennie and Jisoo were giggling.  Lisa was blushing furiously and Chaeyoung looked like she wanted to crawl under the hospital bed.

"What's going on?" Minzy asked.

"Jennie is clearly being overmedicated," Lisa answered, shaking her head at Jennie.

"Lisa and Chaeyoung are dating," Jennie said with a big smile.

"I'm confused," Daesung said.

"Of course they're dating," Minzy said, "Jennie, maybe you are a little confused from the drugs."

Suddenly Lisa panicked that Jennie might actually start talking about her sex life so she decided she had to interject.

"Jennie is just excited because Chaeyoung and I kind of made it more official," Lisa said hoping desperately Chaeyoung would be okay with her pronouncement, "Chaeyoung and I are dating.  She's my girlfriend."

"I don't even understand you kids today," Minzy said.

"Didn't you guys go out to lunches and dinners and trips and stuff?" Daesung asked, "I mean, in our day that was dating.  I'm not sure how you guys classify everything but I guess it doesn't matter."

"Whatever it is," Minzy said, "we are happy for you two.  It's clear you care for each other and that's all that matters."

"Thanks, mom," Lisa answered to Minzy as she turned to smirk at Jennie.  Lisa saw Jennie's eyes widen and she realized what she just said.  Lisa turned back toward Minzy who was clearly trying to fight the tears building in her eyes.

"Um, so Jennie," Daesung said, trying to diffuse the clear emotions in the room, "Did you get any word on when you are getting out of here?"

Jennie still looked like she was trying to take in the fact that after so many years Lisa had finally called Minzy "mom."  She looked back and forth between the two of them and it was clear they both realized the confusing emotions that came with the slip of such a simple word.  Chaeyoung had gently grasped Lisa's hand.  Jisoo was the only person in the room that didn't really understand the implications of what was going on so she answered.

"The doctor came in really early this morning," Jisoo said and everyone moved their attention to Jennie's condition.  "Jennie was still asleep.  He had a surgery scheduled and he said he would come back after it was done.  I guess any time now.  He wanted to check out the wound before he made any decisions but he said to be prepared for a little more time here."