twenty-four

A few more weeks passed by and the women were getting into more of a normal routine.  Jennie was back at work part time.  Jisoo was back full time at YG.  She still spent most nights at Jennie's place, but not because Jennie needed her – just because they wanted to be together.  The restaurant was humming along nicely and Lisa was finding herself with a little bit more free time.  YG was continuing to grow.

Chaeyoung was busily working at her desk when she heard the knock on her office door and saw the door swing open.

"Ms. Park," Joy said with urgency in her voice.

"Joy, what's going on?" Chaeyoung asked, concerned about Joy's sudden entrance.

"Um, it's your mom, I mean it's Lee Chaelin," Joy said, "She's downstairs at security demanding that she be let up to see you."

Chaeyoung sighed heavily, "Tell them to let her in, Joy."

Joy gave Chaeyoung a sympathetic look and walked back out to her phone.  A few minutes later Chaelin walked into Chaeyoung's office.

"You would think that I would be on some sort of list here to be let in, Chaeyoung," Chaelin said harshly as she walked in and sat down, "I shouldn't be treated like a criminal."

"I doubt very much they treated you like a criminal," Chaeyoung answered, "and you would have been on a list if I knew you were coming.  It's not like you visit me here often, or ever."

"Well, I'm here now," Chaelin said.

"Yes, you are," Chaeyoung said, sighing, "Would you like anything, coffee, water?"

"I'd love a water, do you have sparkling?" Chaelin asked.

"Yes," Chaeyoung said as she got up and grabbed a sparkling water from the small refrigerator in one of the cabinets in her office.

"You don't have your secretary get drinks for people?" Chaelin asked, "the CEO of a company should not be serving drinks."

"I can walk four feet to get you a water," Chaeyoung said, bristling, "Chaelin, why are you here today?"

"You don't need to be rude, Chaeyoung," Chaelin said, "I'm your mother.  I would think I could visit you whenever I like."

"You spent my whole life reminding me that you are not my mother," Chaeyoung answered, "so why don't you just tell me why you are here."

"Well, I saw this in the paper this morning," Chaelin said, pulling out a society page picture of Chaeyoung and Lisa at a charity gala they had attended the weekend before.

"So I went to a charity gala for the children's hospital.  So what?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Well, it seems like you are identified in this article as the partner of Lalisa Manoban," Chaelin said.

"I am her partner, I guess, I mean I don't really like that terminology, but whatever," Chaeyoung said.

"And what does that mean exactly?" Chaelin said.

"Why don't you just ask what you want to ask?" Chaeyoung said, angrily.

"I'm just concerned about the face of this company," Chaelin said.

"This is my company, Chaelin," Chaeyoung said.

"You represent the family and the YG name," Chaelin said.

"So, you defended Alice.  You still defend Alice to this day, but you are going to come in here and give me a lecture because I have a girlfriend?" Chaeyoung said, shaking with anger.

"Alice didn't mean to hurt anyone.  It was an accident," Chaelin shouted.

"She was making chemical weapons, for god's sake," Chaeyoung shouted back.