Chapter 1: Sing Loud and Proud

~Ollie~

       As I waited for my order at the 50's diner, I was scrolling through my phone, trying to find something that would pass time since I was waiting here alone. My fiance was going to come with me but he didn't feel like leaving the house right now.

       Something on my phone ended up standing out to me a whole lot. I tapped on it to get a better look at the article. CANADA'S NUMBER ONE SINGING TALENT SHOW IS SET TO FILM IN VANCOUVER THIS YEAR.

       Vancouver. That was extremely close by. Anyone who lived here in Spruceworth would be able to commute down there every time they were filming.

       Anyone who really enjoyed singing and loved watching Sing Loud and Proud.

       I scrolled through the article, looking at all the information that was there. Starting tomorrow, people who wanted to audition for the show had to send in an audition tape of them singing any song of their choice. Select people would then be contacted for an in-person audition in a city close to them. Everyone chosen afterwards had to come to Vancouver for the rest of the auditions, and the show if they made passed it.

       This was perfect for Grant.

       I put my phone back in my pocket right as my order came. I thanked the worker before grabbing the takeout bag and drink tray. I left the diner to head home, excited to tell Grant the news. He was such an amazing singer. He just had to audition for the show.

       As soon as I got home, I walked to the living room where I saw Grant lying on the couch, three stand up fans facing his direction. He also had a wet cloth, most likely drenched in ice cold water, resting on his forehead.

       "I see you're enjoying summer," I said, setting the drink tray and takeout bag onto the coffee table.

       "I don't mind the heat but not when the house is all hot and stuffy," Grant said. "Why don't we have an air conditioner."

       "It broke so my dad has to buy a new one," I said. "But he's visiting my uncle so we are going to have to wait until he gets back. In the meantime, will a chocolate milkshake help with the heat?"

       Grant sat up from the couch as I took the chocolate milkshake out of the tray and handed it to him. I grabbed the other one, a banana one, and sat down beside Grant on the couch. "It will at least help a bit," he said. "I love summer and everything but I seriously want air conditioning."

       "I can see that by the way you gathered all the fans we have just to put them on you," I said, grabbing the takeout bag. "I also got some nachos for us to share."

       "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" Grant asked.

       "All the time," I said, giving him a smile.

       Grant smiled back before leaning over and giving me a lingering kiss.

       As we began eating the nachos I bought, I said, "You watch Sing Loud and Proud, right?"

       "Uh, of course I do," Grant said. "Every single year. It's one of the best shows ever."

       "Guess where it's going to be filming this year?" I asked. "Vancouver."

       "Oh, cool," Grant said, not really seeing interested in the fact that one of his favourite TV shows, one he could definitely audition for, was filming in the city right by us. He could make it there perfectly fine every day he was needed. He didn't have to spend money on a flight or a hotel room. And people who made it far in the competition would have to be there for a while. It would go over summer and to autumn, and since Grant was going to post-secondary yet, he wouldn't have to worry about missing school.