Chapter 7: One Step Back

~Ollie~

       I rested my head back against the wooden fence on the walkway, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. I could feel my phone constantly vibrating in my pocket but I didn't bother answering. 

       I was just trying to get some fresh air and didn't really want to be bothered.

       Although I should probably answer the phone calls because it was most likely Grant calling and he should know where I was.

       I took my phone out of my pocket and looked at all the missed calls and texts. Some were from Dad, one was from Ernest, and the rest was from Grant. Most of them were from him, in fact.

       I hesitated before placing my phone down beside me before rubbing my forehead. I was just glad not too many came on the walkway otherwise they would see me as a complete mess. 

       My phone started ringing again so I wiped the tears from my eyes and grabbed my phone. Grant was calling once again. I actually was about to hang up but I didn't. I just hesitated before answering his call. "...Hello?"

       "Ollie, thank goodness you finally answered," Grant said. "We've all been trying to call you for the past half an hour."

       "I'm sorry," I said in a quiet voice. "Can you come get me?"

       "Where are you?" Grant asked.

       "On the walkway."

       "Is everything okay?

       I wanted to lie and said everything was okay but it was clear that it wasn't. He probably already knew something was wrong. "Not really, no," I said.

       "What happened?" Grant asked.

       "I just..." I took a deep breath. "You'll see when you get here. Please... Get here soon."

       "Don't worry, I'll be there as soon as I can," Grant said. "I love you, Ollie."

       "I love you too," I said.

       After we hung up, I placed my phone back in my pocket and rested my head against the wooden fence again. It really didn't take Grant long to show up. This was a small village after all and we lived pretty close to the walkway.

       Grant stopped in his tracks when he saw me sitting on the walkway, an empty bottle resting beside me. "Ollie..."

       "I'm so sorry," I said. "I-I didn't mean for it to happen. I just couldn't take it anymore."

       Grant walked over and sat down beside me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a tight hug. "You have nothing to be sorry about. We both know how hard it is to stay clean and sober."

       "But I've been sober for over a year," I said.

       "And it's never a sure thing," Grant said. "You know it's not. You could be sober for ten years and still relapse. It's always something us addicts have to be cautious about. But you shouldn't have to apologize for relapsing, Ollie. It's not your fault."

       "If I just didn't pick up the bottle the first time..."

       "Don't," Grant said. "Don't say that. A lot of teenagers drink and not many become alcoholics. It's not your fault you ended up getting addicted after your first drink. Would you say the same thing to me? That it's my fault for taking cocaine the first time?"