Chapter 21: A Rebellious Idea

~Ollie~

       My cell phone started ringing so I reached for it on the nightstand to look at the caller ID. Grant. I should answer it so he didn't worry about me but I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. Besides, it wasn't like I was doing anything wrong. I was just lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling and thinking about how bad my life was going.

       I gave up thinking that my mom was going to let me get married at eighteen. Clearly, that wasn't going to happen even though I was so in love and happy with Grant. She didn't care about me. She only cared that her only son had a more traditional family.

       Funny how that worked. If she wanted a traditional family, then how come she wasn't married to the father of her son?

       I put my phone back on the nightstand before I stared up at the ceiling again. I could hear my cell phone buzz against the nightstand with incoming text messages but I didn't bother looking at them.

       I heard the front door open to the house followed by Grant asking, "August, is Ollie home?"

       "Yeah, I think he's in the bedroom," Dad said.

       "That little..." Grant muttered. "He's ignoring my phone calls and texts."

       "Watch it, he could be sleeping for all you know," Dad said.

       "He better be," Grant said before walking into the bedroom and closing the door behind him. "Oh, so you are awake and just ignoring my calls and texts."

       "Have you been calling and texting me?" I asked. "I haven't noticed."

       Grant sat down on the edge of the bed, gently rubbing my arm. "You okay?"

       "Nope."

       "You want to talk about it?"

       "What's there to talk about?"

       "I was hoping you would tell me."

       I just shrugged. I didn't really want to talk about how I was feeling right now. I never wanted to talk about how I felt. 

       "I want to show you something," Grant said as he handed me his cell phone. "That's why I was trying to get a hold of you. Well, and to make sure you were okay."

       I didn't reply as I grabbed his phone and looked at what was one there; a picture of what looked like some sort of lodge by a beautiful lake and some mountains in the distance.

       "It's nice and all but why are you showing me a picture of this?" I asked.

       "How would you feel about getting married there?" Grant asked.

       I sighed, handing Grant's phone back to him. "When? Next year because my mom keeps saying no?"

       "How about next week?"

       I furrowed my eyebrows as I sat up to look at Grant. "What are you going on about? We can't get married because my mom keeps saying no."

       "That's the thing," Grant said. "If we get married here, she can't stop us. I went looking into it because I don't think your mom is going to say yes anytime soon. We don't have to get married in British Columbia just because we live here."

       "So where exactly is this picture from?" I asked.

       "It's from this lodge in Alberta," Grant said. "And in Alberta, we have to be eighteen to get married without our parents' permission. And in this specific lodge... There's an elopement package."