Chapter 2: The Ex

Chapter 2: The Ex

~Grant~

       As I walked through the village, I stopped in my tracks when I saw something in the window of the antique shop. Even though there wasn't really any special occasion coming soon, I just had to get it for Ollie.

       Then again, there wasn't a rule with relationships where we could only give each other gifts on a special occasion. If I wanted to shower my fiance with gifts, I was going to do that and nobody could stop me.

       I walked into the antique shop, checking out the price of the record player. Not bad. A few records were close by so I searched through them, finding quite a bit of classical music there. After choosing a few, I bought them as well as the record player.

       I walked out of the antique shop and starting heading home, receiving a text message. I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check the message, which was from Ollie. Good new, my dad is home and bought a new air conditioner. It's already set up.

       Finally. It was starting to get way too hot and stuffy at home. I was tempted to just stay in the bath filled with very cold water until August came back home with a new air conditioner.

       I decided to be a pest to Ollie by texting him back saying Oh, what a shame we won't be home alone, if you know what I mean. ;)

       I loved bugging him.

       Right as I sent the message, I accidentally bumped into someone since I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going. I looked up from my phone and at the person to apologize to them but once I saw who it was, I was too shocked to say anything right away.

       The person I bumped into, however, wasn't too shocked to talk. "Grant?" she asked. "Is that you?"

       "Sunny, hey," I said. "How... How are you?"

       "I'm good," Sunny said. "You seem a bit surprised to see me."

       "Well... I didn't expect you to be here in Spruceworth," I said.

       "Oh, I moved here," Sunny said. "Since I'm starting university soon. It's cheaper than living on campus, and I get to have my apartment look my way instead of sharing with a random roommate."

       A lot of university students have moved to Spruceworth during the summer if they didn't want to live on campus. I just didn't expect Sunny to be one of the students to move here. In fact, I didn't expect to see her again.

       "I didn't know this was where you moved to," Sunny said. "So how are you?"

       "I'm... Good," I said. "Just... good."

       "Grant, you don't have to make things awkward," Sunny said. 

       "Sorry," I said. "Like I said, I just... didn't expect to see you here."

       "Fair enough," Sunny said. "How is everything? And I'm genuinely curious this time. I don't want the simple answer of 'I'm good'."

       "Even though you gave me that answer when I asked how are you?" I asked.

       "Touche," Sunny said. "Don't worry, if you want, I'll give you the boring details of how my life has been since we've last seen each other. So I went to school almost every day, I did skip some days when I didn't feel like going, I graduated, and now I'm here ready to go to university. You?"

       "A lot has happened," I said. "And I do mean a lot. For starters, I found out my mom isn't really my mom."

       "Huh," Sunny said. "I kind of want to say that's surprising, and it is a bit, but..."