Chapter 38: Falsely Accused

~Grant~

       After getting a visitor's pass from the school's office, I made my way to August's classroom since he wasn't answering his texts or calls so desperate times calls for desperate measures. Well, I wouldn't really call showing up to my father-in-law's work as desperate.

       Then again, I graduated a few months ago and would rather not step foot inside the school.

       When I got to August's classroom, I knocked on the door. He stopped his lesson, looking over and furrowing his eyebrows when he saw me. He walked over to the door, stepping out in the hallway and slightly closing the door. He must have known this was important otherwise I wouldn't be here right now. "Grant, why are you here?"

       "Because I tried calling you and texting you but you weren't answering," I said.

       "I'm at work," August said. "I have to keep my phone on silent when I'm teaching. So why exactly are you here? Is everything okay?"

       "No, it's not," I said. "Your son was just arrested."

       "I'm sorry, he what?" August asked. "What on earth did he do?"

       "He didn't do anything," I said. "He's being framed. I don't even know how. The cops just showed up to our house and arrested him for the explosion at the diner. I tried talking to them but they're not listening me. They're saying they have enough evidence against him."

       "What kind of evidence?" August asked. "Because I know Ollie wouldn't do something like that."

       "They wouldn't tell me the evidence," I said. "If he actually gets charged with this, not only will he go to jail for something he wouldn't do, he won't be able to go to university at all and that will crush him. He's already struggling about not being able to go right now. If he won't be able to go at all, that's going to make things worse."

       "I'll meet you at the police station, okay?" August said. "I'll help figure things out. I just need to find someone to cover my class."

       "And while I'm at the police station, I'm going to yell at my cousin for arresting Ollie," I said.

       "No, you won't yell at anyone," August said. "That will only make things worse."

       I shrugged. They already made things worse by arresting my husband for something he didn't do. I could yell at them all I want.

       I left the school and made my way back to the police station, still feeling very mad at my very own cousin for betraying me. Horatio was one of the smartest police officers who looked at every case from all angles. That was why he ended up being the police chief; he rarely believed the false cases.

       Yet here he was right now, believing the Ollie blew up the diner.

       When I got inside the police station, I found Horatio and walked over to him. "Horatio, you have to release Ollie. He didn't do it."

       "Grant, I'm sorry, I really am, but there's enough proof against him," Horatio said. "You know I make sure I have everything right before making the arrest."

       "Obviously not this time because he didn't do it. And how about his alibi, huh? I was with him all day. He didn't even leave the house until after it happened. I woke up before him and we stayed together all day, even when we left the house."

       "The explosion was set up remotely," Horatio said. "The night before, in fact. That's why your alibi doesn't count for that day."

       "Okay, then what time that night?" I asked. "Because I can assure you that I was probably with him."