Chapter 34: What Spruceworth is All About

~Grant~

       The best part about summer being over was that Ollie and I were the only two who were home during the days. Myra had school, August was a teacher so he was back at school, and Ernest mainly worked during the days.

       Even when Ernest wasn't working, he was spending time with Hennessy, which meant Ollie and I had the house all to ourselves.

       Too bad my husband was mean and never agreed to have fun times with me.

       While I was cooking some scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast in the morning, I couldn't help but softly sing to the song I was going to be singing in the next round of Sing Loud and Proud.

       I still couldn't believe I've made it so far into the competition and there was a chance that I could actually win this.

       I really wanted to win this. I wanted to show myself that I had what it takes to win, even after I doubted myself at the beginning and didn't even want to audition.

       Even though Ollie normally slept in as late as he could, he ended up getting out of bed and walking out of the bedroom despite it being nine in the morning.

       He walked over to me in the kitchen, standing behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. "Morning," he said.

       "Good morning," I said. "You seem very happy today."

       "I'm just in a good mood," Ollie said. "A really good mood. I haven't had a drink in a while and I finally don't feel like crap from withdrawals."

       "That's great, Ollie," I said. "So since you're in a good mood and out of bed early..."

       "No," Ollie said. "Don't even finish that sentence."

       "What?" I asked. "I was just going to ask if you wanted some eggs and bacon."

       "Oh," Ollie said. "Then yes, I would love some."

       "Nah, I was actually going to ask if we could go and bang but you're mean."

       Ollie went on his tiptoes and kissed me on the cheek. "I love you."

       "Yeah, yeah, I love you too."

        I wanted to be mad at Ollie for not wanting to have fun times with me but he was too adorable to be mad at, especially when he hugged me tighter and rested his forehead on my back.

       He really was in a good mood today and it just made me happy seeing him like this.

       When I finished making breakfast for the two of us, Ollie and I sat at the kitchen table to eat. Now that I was actually looking at Ollie, I could see how much of a good mood he was in. His eyes were as bright as they had ever been, a small smile resting on his face.

       Seeing him so happy was making me so happy. 

       "So after we're done eating, any chance we can--" I began but Ollie decided to cut me off, thinking he knew what I was going to say.

       I mean, he was probably right but there was no harm in trying to ask him.

       "I already told you no, Grant," Ollie said.

       "Really?" I asked. "So you don't want to go to the diner to get milkshakes? Because that was what I was going to ask. One hundred percent. Totally nothing about us banging."