Chapter 40: Long Time, No See

~Grant~

       "Are you sure about this?" Ollie asked as we stood on the walkway, observing all the people walking by in the village, just going on their normal every day lives. "If you think you have a lead, shouldn't we just tell the police? They could look into it more."

       "Well, no offence to the police here in Spruceworth but they thought you did it when there wasn't much proof," I pointed out. 

       Ollie was hesitant for a bit. "It was pinned on me. They just thought I did it because it was pointing to me. And... It wouldn't have been the first time I blew up a building."

       "Ollie, what happened to that convenient store wasn't your fault," I said. "You didn't purposefully do that."

       "But they don't know that," Ollie said. "They only have the facts."

       "Okay, but you clearly suffer from PTSD after the school explosion," I said. "Your psychologist, who is the police chief's brother by the way, diagnosed you with PTSD."

       "He diagnosed me with it today, not even an hour ago," Ollie said. "The cops didn't know about it."

       "That's complete bull and you know it," I said. "They saw the trial. They saw what you were put through because of it. Look, I love my cousin and everything but I don't think the police will do much if we tell them who I think did it. Keyword being think. I don't know for sure, which is why we will be doing more investigations."

       "You said yesterday you know who did it."

       "And then I said that I at least have a very good idea. Meaning I'm not one-hundred percent sure. Which, again, is why we will be doing more investigations."

       Ollie sighed, resting his arms on top of the fence on the walkway. He place his chin on top, watching people as they passed by. "If we are going to continue this, why are we just watching here? We're not getting anything done."

       "This is the busiest place in all of Spruceworth," I said. "Chances are, the culprit will walk by here while doing errands."

       "Yeah, chances are," Ollie said. "It's not definitive. It can take hours. It might not even happen today. Or tomorrow. Or any other day. Remind me, when was the last time you two actually saw each other?"

       I sighed. Ollie did have a point. I couldn't even remember the last time and I walked through Spruceworth all the time. But I had to find a way to make sure my suspicions were correct otherwise another crime might happen that would be pinned on Ollie, even though he was the sweetest person ever and didn't deserve this.

       And if my suspicions were correct, I wasn't going to be a happy person. I mean, no matter who it was I wasn't going to be happy because my husband was being pinned for something he wouldn't ever do, but if it was someone I personally knew who was doing this for no reason whatsoever, then that was a problem. A huge problem.

       After a few more minutes of observing the people, Ollie sighed heavily. "This is hopeless. Can we just go home? But first tell the police? It's not like they'll completely ignore us. A lead is a lead."

       "It's still not really a lead," I said. "We have no proof. It's just me knowing the suspect quite well."

       "Okay, but can we at least go home?" Ollie asked. "Please?"

       I really wanted to make sure my suspicion was correct but I didn't want to push Ollie into staying outside when he clearly didn't want to. I never wanted to push Ollie into doing something he didn't want to.