Chapter 17: Family Argument

~Ollie~

       I hesitated before writing my name on the sign-in sheet of the support group. Last time I was here, I ended up leaving within a few minutes of it starting because I didn't think I could handle being here. However, this time, I was determined to stay. I needed to do something to help me get sober again.

       Grant couldn't come with me since he had a rehearsal so Dad was here with me. Even though my older brother ran it, I needed someone there for me who was there just for me so I felt more comfortable.

       After I finished writing my name and my addiction on the sign-in sheet, Dad rested his hand on my shoulder. "I'm proud of you for giving this another chance," he said. 

       "Yeah, well, I don't think I have any other choice," I said. "I can't do this without professional help and maybe the support group will do me some good." I didn't even know if I was going to talk at all during the support group but maybe hearing other people's stories would help me out.

       When Shaw saw that I was here, he walked over to me. "I didn't know you were coming here."

       "I think it's something I need," I said. "I won't be put on the spot, will I?"

       "No, of course not," Shaw said. "I want this to be comfortable for everyone and putting people on the spot when they're not really ready to talk her might make people reluctant to come back. I only ask if there's anyone wants to talk. So if you're here, then things haven't been going well, huh?"

       I shook my head. "I thought staying in the hospital would help but I guess not."

       "Well, I'm happy you're here," Shaw said. "And if the support group doesn't work out for you, let me know if there's anything you need, okay?" I nodded and Shaw pulled me into a tight hug. I was glad I had a lot of people here to support me, even if it was still hard for me to get sober.

       Dad and I sat down in the circle of chairs, waiting for the support group to start. I felt a bit nervous and unsure about being here but I had to give it a chance. I couldn't just leave like I did last time. I needed this. I needed something stable and professional to help me get sober again.

       When the support group started, I just listened to what everyone else was saying for their addictions and the more people that talked, the less judged I felt like I was going to be. A lot of the people here started their addictions when they were in their teens, just like me. I may be the youngest one here but people still had the same experience as me. They weren't going to judge me, or anyone, at all.

       After someone finished talking, Shaw asked if anyone else would like to talk. And I said, "Can I?"

       Shaw gave me an encouraging smile. "Of course, Ollie. Go ahead."

       I took a deep breath before saying, "So... My name is Ollie and I'm eighteen years old. I became an alcoholic when I was sixteen because I got in with the wrong group of people and ended up getting arrested for doing something stupid, which called me to lost my scholarship for a music school I've always wanted to go to. I was able to get sober almost two years ago with the help of Shaw, my dad, and my boyfriend at the time who is now my fiance. But... I recently relapsed over something I would consider to be so small and things just keep getting worse and worse for me. For instance... I have to get both of my parents permission to get married at eighteen. And my mom said she won't give me permission."

       "What?" Dad asked. "Why is this the first time I'm hearing about this? And why won't she give you permission?"

       "Because she thought since I'm bisexual, I'll eventually fall for a girl and marry one," I said. "She's not happy that her only son is marrying another guy. She wants me to have a more traditional marriage with a wife and kids, as if I can't eventually adopt with Grant."