Chapter 55: Diagnosis

~Ollie~

       No matter how many times I tried, I just couldn't get this tune that was in my head onto sheet music. I must have gone through at least one hundred different sheets of music and I still haven't gotten it.

       Grant did try to help me like he promised but there wasn't that much he could do about it since he couldn't hear the tune and for some reason, I couldn't even hum the tune or anything.

       Some musician I was.

       I was continuing to work on the music sheet while waiting for Josh to show up, trying to get this tune out of my head. I did get some of the notes down but not all of them.

       I still didn't know if I should talk to a doctor but Grant said that I should and I trusted him, even if I didn't think that anything was wrong.

       After scribbling on another piece of paper and pushing it off to the side, I grabbed another one and rewrote the first few notes that I already figured out.

       Grant suddenly tapped my shoulder so I looked over at him. He must have been trying to get my attention but I was too focused on the music. "Why don't you try all that at the piano?" Grant asked. "That way, you can physically hear if it's what is in your head."

       "Grant, you're a genius!" I said, gathering up all the sheet music before standing up. I gave him a kiss to show him how much I appreciated the idea. "I can't believe I didn't think of that. That's definitely going to help."

       I walked over to the piano, setting all the sheet music onto the piano before sitting down at the piano bench.

       On one of the sheets of music, I rewrote the notes I did have on there before playing them on the piano to see if it was the tune that was playing in my head.

       Grant was right; this was going to help more. Now that I was physically hearing the notes, it was easier to figure out what notes were next in my mind.

       I was able to get some many notes written down on the sheet music. I really should have worked here at the piano instead of the coffee table a long time ago.

       I ended up being able to get a full page finished and once I did, I started to play the song on the piano to make sure it matched what was in my mind.

       After I had finished playing what was written on the sheet, Grant asked, "Was... Was all that in your head?"

       "Yeah, it's the tune that has been in my head since four in the morning," I said. "Well, not all of it. I don't even know if it's half of it but it is at least some of the tune that has been playing in my mind."

       "And... Did you think of that tune yourself?" Grant asked. "Or was it a tune you heard before?"

       "I don't think I've heard it before," I said. "It wasn't familiar or anything. It was just a tune that was randomly playing in my mind. That would kind of suck if it was one I heard before because this whole time, I could have just tried finding it online instead of trying to write it down. But I really don't think I've heard it before. Why?"

       "That was... really good," Grant said. "Like really good. It was beautiful."

       I smiled at him. "Thanks. Well, that's a thanks if I truly haven't heard it before and I really think I haven't but now I'm wondering if I did."

       "Here, I have an idea," Grant said, walking over and pulling out this phone. "There's this app I have that if you play the tune of a song, it will tell you what the song is. You can hum, play the piano, anything like that."