Chapter 52: Delusions

~Grant~

       As soon as I woke up, I knew something was wrong. Between me and Ollie, I was the earlier riser. I was always out of bed before he was so when I woke up and didn't see him beside me on the bed.

       I got out of bed and walked out of the bedroom only for it to seem like I walked into a police station in the middle of an investigation. Pieces of paper, photos, and newspaper clippings were hung everywhere in the living room from the TV stand to the piano. Red yarn was connecting all the paper, photos, and newspaper clippings, making it hard to even walk around in the living room.

       Ollie was currently connecting a string of red yarn from a newspaper clipping to a photo. I had no idea what he was doing but I didn't have a good feeling about it.

       "Ollie?" I asked. "What are you doing?"

       Ollie didn't reply to me. He just finished connecting the red yarn from the newspaper clipping to the photo before turning around to look at me. "I was thinking a lot last night," he said. "About Hugh and I think I figured things out."

       I frowned, not sure if I should question Ollie or not. When I told him that nobody was standing where he said Hugh was, he was extremely confused. He was constantly telling me that he really was seeing Hugh there.

       But nobody was there.

       I was able to convince Ollie that he just might be sleep deprived before taking him home and watching Halloween movies with him until he fell asleep.

       I thought he really was sleep deprived or something but with what he was doing right now, I had no idea what was going on.

       Even though I didn't question Ollie about what he figured out about Hugh, he decided to tell me. "I know the prison warden told Horatio that Hugh was still in prison," Ollie said. "But why didn't he send physical proof? He could have sent a photo of Hugh but he didn't."

       "He didn't have to because he's the warden," I said. "He's expected to tell the truth."

       "Exactly," Ollie said. "He's expected to. Doesn't mean he actually will. And I wondered why the prison warden would want to lie for Hugh, except for the fact that wardens are obviously corrupt."

       "I don't think wardens--" I began but Ollie cut my off and continued, as if he wasn't even paying attention to what I was saying.

       "I did some research about the prison," Ollie said, walking over to one of the pieces of paper that had his handwriting barely legible scribbled on it. "There's a very high possibility that the warden was actually an inmate not too long ago. The warden and the inmate he possibly is both have the same first name. John."

       "John is a very common name," I said.

       "But they look very similar," Ollie said. "Way too similar. And since the pictures I found of them are taken a few years apart so if it's the same person, they're not going to look the exact same. And because the warden wanted the job but he was an inmate, he had to change his identity so he could still get the job. But since he knows what it's like being in prison, he's probably helping people like Hugh escape. I mean, what are the chances that Hugh would be in the warden's office the moment Horatio called?"

       I've never seen Ollie like this before and I still had no clue what was going on. I highly doubt a prison warden would help an inmate escape since they themselves could get into legal trouble by doing so.