Chapter 48: 50's Celebration

~Grant~

       Spruceworth was famous for all the village-wide events that was thrown, either for the holidays throughout the year or for some either celebration. 

       So I was quite excited for today's event, especially because what we were celebrating for. Destiny and Dan were finally able to finish renovating their 50's diner and because that was such an iconic place for all citizens of Spruceworth, it was being promoted by figuratively making Spruceworth go back in time to the 50's.

       Everyone who wanted to participate was dressing up in 50's style clothing for the whole day and some were even going to try to stay off their electronics all day. Participating businesses like stores and restaurants were going to be playing 50's music.

       And to top it all off, there were going to be a bunch of different booths throughout the village, like carnival games and concession stands, just like almost every Spruceworth event.

       "We need to do this 50's celebration more often," I said as Ollie and I were getting ready to leave our house to go check out all the booths in the village before going to the 50's diner. "Because damn, you look very hot in that outfit."

       Ollie really did look very hot. He was wearing a white and blue buttoned up shirt over a white t-shirt, with the blue being just on the sleeves, lining up along the buttons, and the collar. He only had the bottom button done up and had his shirt tucked into the bottom of his brown plaid pants.

       "Yeah, I know, Grant," Ollie said. "You've told me, like, three times already today."

       "Four," I said. "You look hot."

       Ollie sighed but a smile was still creeping out on his face. He always claimed that I was an annoying husband but that didn't stop him by smiling at me all the time. If anything, I was the best husband ever.

       The two of us left out house and started to head to the main part of Spruceworth where all the booths were normally set up for the events. There was a lot to do here with all the carnival games and concession stands. A stage was even set up for performances and knowing the mayor, there would be a karaoke portion of the night.

       Perfect for me. I loved karaoke.

       "This actually feels like we stepped into a time machine," Ollie said as we were looking around. "Everyone I see so far is wearing 50's style clothes and all the decorations feel like it's from the 50's as well."

       "I know, right?" I said. "It actually feels like we're in the 50's. Wait a second... Are we even legal?"

       Ollie furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

       "We're a married same-sex couple," I said. "It wasn't even legalized here in BC until 2003. If it's the 50's... We're illegally married. Oh no, we're going to go to jail. Ollie, I'm going to have to friendzone you for the day. We're no longer husbands. We're just two bros."

       Ollie gave me a flat look. "Really?"

       "I'm kidding," I said. "So what do you want to do first?"

       "I'm hungry," Ollie said. "Can we eat first?"

       "We can try going to the diner but it might be very crowded right now since it's the reopening," I said. "Or we could wait until later and just get some snacks from the concession stand."

       "It's probably going to be crowded all day, though," Ollie pointed out.

       "Fair enough," I said. "Alright, let's go get some amazing food from the diner."