Chapter 21: Recovery

Bonnie's POV

Bright lights, constant mechanical bleeping, human chatter, Pain!

Lewis's POV

"Ow that hurts!" I shout at the doctor as he touches my leg that had finally been put in a cast after a long..... two hour surgery to place in a metal support plate. "Now come on Mr Brindley I was just checking the cast" he said in a tone that was like he was talking to a child. Then he checked through my documents at the bottom of the bed and smiled, "Looks like you may leave this afternoon but take it easy".

"I will" I said with a grin, I couldn't wait to get out the hospital and get down to the vets to see how Bonnie was getting on.

Hannah's POV

"So how is she?" I asked as the vet walked into the room, still wearing his scrubs. He gave a small smile but it wasn't enough to convince me, "Well I'm going to start by saying that Bonnie shouldn't be alive, the amount of smoke inhalation should have surly killed her".

I swallowed down the lump that had formed in my throat as he talked about how bad Bonnie should have been and dreaded what was to come.

"But.... Saying that she is alive and well. She has had some damage to her paws due to some 3rd degree burns but they will eventually heal over time. We have bandage boots that she will wear during that time. She may also suffer from a cough but that's due to the smoke she inhaled".

I could feel the tears welling up from the good news as he continued to talk about Bonnie and how she was going to be alright.

"Will she be able to come home? Will I be able to see her?" I asked my voice cracking.

"We don't normally allow clients into the back however I think this is one of those special circumstances. From what I hear she's defiantly a wonder dog".

Bonnie's POV

I woke with the smell of cleaning chemicals in my nose. Blinking I slowly began to open my eyes, ah they stung so much, my throat burned and mouth was so dry.

As I came to I could see I wasn't at home or in the hotel. I could feel the softness of a blanket over and under my body and the warmth of a heat pad. I began to look around but couldn't move my head, it felt so heavy, it was like I had no control. I could see a drip bag hanging from the kennel door as it pumped fluid into a drip in my left forepaw. Looking at my paws they had all been bandaged up with multi coloured wraps.

I wanted to stretched out my sore muscles but I was to exhausted. Beginning to closes my eyes to sleep again I heard a voice, "Bonnie?"

My tail wagged slightly under the blanket as I heard Hannah's voice call out.

Hannah's POV

I looked at Bonnie and she was a sorry sight. She was hooked up to several drips and had bandaged paws which made her feet three times the size that they should have been. I could see the blanket move as her tail wagged beneath but her eyes remained shut. "She must know it's you as that's the first time her tail has wagged, but who can blame her, she had been through a lot, more that a lot of people go through in a lifetime," the vet said as he looked at her record. "Anyway if she eats later she can go home tonight to sleep it off, no point keeping her cooped up here" the vet finally said as a nurse came in to check Bonnie's drip bags. I was led back to the reception and began to leave the vets to go pick up Lewis, "Oh Miss Rutherford, we will call you once she has eaten" the vet called as he stood at the glass door.

Lewis's POV

"Hannah!" I cheered as she came into the ward, a nurse gave me some crutches so I was almost ready. She ran up to me and pulled me into a tight hug, "I love you Lewis" she whispered in my ear, I smiled before replying "I love you too".

-~-

After hours of discharging forms and doctors chats we finally got into the car to go to the hotel and eventually back to Bristol. "You alright bud" Ross greeted as I clumsily got into the car "Yea I'm good, How's Bonnie??" I asked Hannah as Ross drove us. She smiled as her phone rang,

"Hello?"

"We will be right there!"

She hung up and her smile became a full on grin, "Let's go pick her up and you can see for yourself".

Bonnie's POV

After finally sleeping off most of the sleepy drug I was able to sit up and get a drink and some food. The vet nurses were really friendly and sat will me as I ate, talking to me softly. They eventually took out the stupid drip on my leg and put on another bandage; man I was becoming more bandage than fur. Then after one last check they led me through to the reception and into one of the small private rooms, I could hardly walk due to these stupid boots but how could I care about that when I walked in the room to see Hannah and Lewis sitting there.

Lewis's POV

"Bon!" I shouted as she walked into the room, her eyes lit up and bounded over to us and jumped up on my knee licking my face. I chucked as she whined in glee. All her paws were bandaged and other areas of her body had bare fur less patches were the burns were. "Awwww my little angel"

-~-

"So many rules..." Hannah groaned as we walked back to the car, "No long walks, no baths, don't let her lick her feet... Ridiculous". I laughed to myself, the way Hannah argued was such a funny sight. I was limping back to the car when a voice called out.

"Hey your from the Yogscast, how awesome!"

We turned to see a teenager as he walked up to us.

"Yea" I muttered as he pulled out a fag and lit it, breathing out the smoke.

Suddenly I was pushed to the ground as Bonnie knocked the crutch from under me. Using my hands to stop the impact with the floor I lay on the ground, I looked to see Bonnie cowering under the car, shaking, her eyes full of fright and fear, "Bon...."

Authors Note

Hope you are enjoying the story as much as I enjoy writing it.

Please give any ideas and comments you wish.

Don't forget to Vote

~Leigh