Chapter 1: The day we met

1899

Albus POV:

There was a knock at the door, interrupting my reading of 'Tales of the Beedle and the Bard'. I got up off the step I was sat on and answered it. Old Bathilda Bagshot awaited on the porch, looking at me eagerly. She's been our neighbour here since we moved, very understanding and nice woman. Probably the only person outside the family who knows about Ariana, but we trust her.
'Good afternoon Mrs Bagshot.' I said politely.
'Hello Albus!,' she responded, 'I didn't want to disturb you but...I was wondering if you could do me a favour...'
'What is it?'
'You see, my nephew Gellert is coming to stay with me, very troubled boy...he just got expelled from Durmstrang and I want him to feel welcome here...if you could pop over tomorrow evening and meet him, I'm sure it wouldn't waste your time.'
'I'd be happy to Mrs Bagshot,' I smiled at the old lady.
'Thankyou! Thank you so much Albus! Bless you my boy.' Her eyes glistened with gratitude as she hobbled down the street to her house. As soon as I was sure she'd made it home safely, I closed the door.
'What was that about.' Asked Aberforth, sticking his nose in again.
'Just Mrs Bagshot asking me to go over tomorrow.' I enlightened him, sitting back on the step and continuing to read. He nodded in approval and cleared off into the living room. Aberforth has always been a bit that way, we don't really see eye to eye...he just tends to judge everyone, me especially, I've never quite known why. I guess I don't really care.
The next evening, I made my way to Mrs Bagshots house to do as she'd asked. I knocked and shortly after, she answered the door.
'Albus!' She exclaimed, greeting me with a hug.
'Good evening Mrs Bagshot.' I replied, handing her some paper, 'it's the latest issue of the Daily Prophet, our door got 2 copies this morning so I figured they missed you out.'
'Thank you my dear!' She accepted it and put it down on the table next to her. 'Albus, I want you to meet someone, Gellert!' She yelled. I heard footsteps creeping closer until a tall boy appeared, his long blonde hair hovered over his shoulder and his mis-matched eyes had me intrigued.
'Albus, this is my nephew, Gellert.' She introduced.
I held my hand out, 'Pleased to meet you Gellert.' I said politely smiling.
'Please, the pleasure is all mine,' He responded, shaking my hand.
'I was...actually going to head down to the pub...would you care to join me?' I asked.
He smiled, 'if...that's ok with my Aunt,' he looked to her for permission, she nodded. Gellert put on his coat and stepped outside, taking a last look at his Aunt before she closed the door.
'Shall we be on our way?' I asked, he nodded. We started to walk down the cobblestone road which lead to the pub.
'How old are you?' Gellert asked.
'I'm 18, I just graduated from Hogwarts.'
'Ah, that's English vizard school yes?' His accent was charming.
'Only the best...I heard you got expelled from Durmstrang.'
Gellerts eyes widened in annoyance, 'Did auntie tell you?'
'She didn't tell me why if that's what you're worried about.' I chuckled.
'I thought after people graduate you're suppose to travel the vorld, that's vhat most do isn't it?' He changed the subject.
I felt anger rise in my throat but I swallowed it down. 'I was going to, with my friend Elphias.'
'You two...fall out or something.'
'No no not at all, we're really good friends...I just...' I was hesitant but I figured he'd find out sooner or later.
'My mother died, I have to look after my brother and sister.' I admitted.
'How old are they?'
'Abeforth is 16 but he's just back for summer, he goes to Hogwarts again in fall. Ariana is 14.'
'Vhere does she go to school?'
I was silent for a while, trying to piece together a cover story, 'she's...gravely Ill.' which wasn't far from the truth.
Gellert furrowed his brows, bowing his head. We finally arrived at the pub and I went straight to the bar and sat on the empty stool, Gellert sat beside me.
'What's for you today Albus?' Asked the bar tender, cleaning spilled beer off the counter, presumably from a previous drunk customer.
'I'll have a white wine today please.' I said, handing over a few knuts. I got a few weird looks as I always do, surprisingly not from Gellert though.
'ID please.' bar tender said to Gellert.
He grinned, clearly amused, 'I'll just have a butter beer please.' The bar tender, slightly embarrassed that Gellert had ordered a non alcoholic drink after he asked for his ID, got us our drinks. Making eye contact, me and Gellert nodded to eachother smirking. When the bar tender had his back turned I used my wand to deposit a part of my wine into his butter beer. He took a sip and breathed out heavily. 'Nice butter beer this...'
I had to stifle a laugh before the bar tender realised what had happened.
It was nearing 7 when we had two rounds and I needed to be home for dinner by 7:30 so we left. When we got outside I asked, 'you're not old enough to drink alcohol...are you?' I hadn't thought of it before but if he was expelled...it means he hasn't graduated.
Gellert smirked, 'vell done detective.' He teased.
'Well...how old are you exactly?'
He laughed, 'guess.'
I wracked my brain, he was taller than me but he didn't have facial hair...he definitely looked older than Ari...maybe not Aberforth. 'I'd reckon 16 or 17?'
'16, that bar tender should learn to be less smug, he could have vaited for me to actually order alcohol before asking for my ID.'
I chuckled, 'He's no harm really, get on his good side and he might allow you a sip or two of the vodka.'
'You sound like you're talking from experience there Albus.'
'Maybe I am.'
'Mmm vallowing over an ex girlfriend?' He laughed. I didn't respond, I didn't want my first impression with this guy to be I've never been with a girl before. We were engaged in conversation until we got to his house. Before he went inside he turned around, 'I enjoyed your company this fine evening Mr...'
'Dumbledore.'
'Mr Dumbledore, good evening.'
'Good evening to you to Mr-'
'Grindelwald,'
'Mr Grindelwald.' We smiles at eachother until he disappeared behind the door.

Gellert POV:

I hung my coat up on the stand and appreciated the warmth from the fire, very different to the unusually cold summer night. I walked into the dining room to see my cutlery and plate out, I took a seat and waited for Auntie. Soon enough, she came out holding two servings of a Sunday roast and put one in front of me. I waited for her to be seated before I had a bite.
'So, did you have fun with Albus?' Auntie asked.
'Yeh, I had...a really good time actually.' I said, even to my own surprise. I don't usually get along with people, something about Albus made me so at ease. Maybe it was the gentle, wise manner in which he spoke.
'You mean...you like him!' Auntie asked, tears in her eyes.
'Auntie, are you alright?'
'Sorry, its just...I'm so glad you've finally made a friend!'
I internally thought how bad it sounds I haven't had any friends. I could have, I've just never had the need but, there's just something different about Albus, he has such a presence. We ate the rest of our meal before Auntie went to her room to rest. I spent a little time by the fire just thinking to myself before heading to my own room.

This will hopefully get less bad