Chapter 47: The Perfect Grindelwald Family

Gellert POV:

My father cleared his throat, 'Marie, ich dachte, ich hätte dir gesagt, dass ich kein Huhn mag.'
(Marie, I thought I told you that I do not like chicken)
Mother only looked up at him and replied apologetically, 'Es tut mir leid, Schatz, ich werde es besser machen.'
(I'm sorry, sweetheart, I'll do better)
I always hated when she said that, she always said that exact same phrase whenever she did something wrong or at least what my father considered wrong.
My father, always ignoring my existence ordered, 'Seien Sie von Nutzen und sagen Sie es Gellert.'
(Be Of use and tell Gellert)
Mother looked at little me cautiously, what she was about to say she probably already knew I would like, but her husband had given her an order and she needed to carry it out. She swallowed, 'Dein Vater und ich haben dir eine Verlobung gesichert.'
(Your father and I have secured you an engagement)
Little me's eyes widened, 'eine Ehefrau?'
(A wife?)
My heart seized up as I remembered this day so clearly, re living it was hell. Hell because I knew how it ended, because I remember what it did to me. What he did to me.
Father decided to contribute, 'Ja, wir finden es richtig, dass Sie auf dem richtigen Weg sind.'
(Yes, we think it is right that you are on the right track)
Little me furrowed their brows, pushing the food around the plate with his fork, 'Nein.'
(No)
Both my parents looked at each other, rather startled since I'd never refused anything from them before. Like I said, I was perfect in every way. They hated me, so I always tried my best to do as they asked even if I was against it. Today was the day I did what I wanted for once, the day I realised I had a voice. One that I would one day use to start a revolution.
Father was visibly furious, 'Marie.' He said, signally my mother should leave the room. She followed her order and left immediately.
I stared into my fathers eyes, ones that looked upon me with only hatred, 'Hör zu, du wirst tun, was ich sage. Jungen sollten gute, starke Arbeiter mit einer treuen Frau sein.'
(Listen, you'll do what I say. Boys should be good, strong workers with a faithful wife)
Little me frowned, 'Ich möchte nicht wie die anderen sein, ich möchte großartig sein!'
(I do not want to be like the others, I want to be great)
My father was getting more and more annoyed by the second, 'Verschwende dein Leben nicht mit solchen dummen Ambitionen.'
(Do not waste your life on such stupid ambitions) he sighed, 'Ich wusste immer, dass du eine Enttäuschung bist.'
(I always knew you were a disappointment)
Little me replied, 'Was habe ich gemacht! Warum hassen Sie mich?'
(What have I done! Why do you hate me?) I knew that years Of pent up anger was coming out of me. I remembered it. Having to wake up every day knowing I was a disappointment, knowing I couldn't give them what they wanted.
My father got to his feet out of rage, 'AUGE IST EINE TRAGEDY, KEIN JUNGE MIT EINEM SOLCHEN SCHMUTZIGEN EIGENTUM KANN PERFEKT SEIN!'
(THAT EYE IS A TRADGEY, NO BOY WITH SUCH A DISGRACEFUL FEATURE COULD EVER BE PERFECT!) he grabbed my hair causing me to yelp out in pain. He shook me by my golden locks and screamed in my ear, 'SIE SIND NICHT SPEZIAL. SIE SIND NICHT SELTEN. SIE SIND NICHT EINZIGARTIG. Sie sind eine Enttäuschung und eine Schande für den Familiennamen!'
(YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. YOU ARE NOT RARE. YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE. You are a disappointment and a shame for the family name)
Tears streamed down little me's face as my father continued to scream insults at me, shaking me by the hair as I started to sob from the physical and mental pain he was inflicting on me. Little me was suddenly thrown on the floor, frozen in shock as I had never been abused verbally or physically in my entire life by anyone before. I looked away, knowing and remembering exactly what happened next as I heard little me's screams. My father punching me as hard as he could, letting me be a punching back for his misery. All he wanted was a perfect family, a loving, loyal wife and a normal, obedient son. Instead he gets...me. My dreams forced me to watch as I remembered and saw how I was beaten until almost death. Forced me to relive the day that changed my life forever, the day I became bitter, the day I became more determined than ever to achieve something great to prove him wrong. The day I forgot how to love. From that day onward I gave up, I didn't want to please them I didn't want to be 'perfect' as everyone always thought I was. I wanted to be different and I was. I studied hard, I aimed higher than most I gained power. My family never cared for me and as soon as I stopped caring for them I became great, just as I said I would. Durmstrang was always impressed with my ambitious approach to everything and honoured me as one of the best students attending. My parents opposed me going there since it has a reputation of producing some of the darkest wizards. I didn't let them stop me. Tante became the only family member I ever cared for, she seemed to truly understand me and care for me back. Her visits meant everything to me. My obsession with the Deathly Hallows drove my want for wizard dominance as I learned more and more about the world. I had a voice now, and I want others to have a voice too, other wizards. This day was probably the worst day of my life, without it I wouldn't be who I am today. I never spoke to my parents ever again after this day, even though we lived together. Instead of being known as the perfect family my parents completely detached me from them, ignoring my existence more than they ever did. I was known as different, I took pride in it though they said it with such disgust. I hope they all cower in fear at the mention of my name now. Especially father. When he gets his daily newspaper and I'm on the front page I wonder if he burns it out of spite. It wouldn't surprise me. My father left my unconscious body to bleed onto the white kitchen tiles, seeping through the cracks in the squares. Little me stood up, tears dripping down his face, cold, alone and very much determined. As if he was a corpse, he looked it with all the blood staining his clothes, his wounds bleeding heavily out, he walked out of the room. Ending my nightmare.

Ahhhhh shit, Gellert is closed off and confused about his love for Albus because his tragic backstory made him a different person, he never thought he would love again until he did with Albus (His father is called Frederick btw, I thought this would become relevant but apparently not) also I'm sorry about my German, I'm only using translate